Author Topic: Sanborn, D, (2004, 2006), "Opinionism"  (Read 196 times)

Mysterium Fidei

Sanborn, D, (2004, 2006), "Opinionism"
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:59:26 AM »
There seem to be quite a few traditionalists who hold the position that since the Church has not declared Bergoglio and his Vatican II predecessors as anti-popes, that it is a legitimate theological opinion to hold that he is the pope or that he is not the pope, whichever you prefer, but that neither position is offensive to the Faith.

In this article, which was written by Bp. Sanborn some years ago during the false pontificate of Benedict XVI, he gives five reasons he believes this position is untenable.

http://www.traditionalmass.org/images/articles/Opinionism.pdf
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:52:51 PM by Mysterium Fidei »

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Alex, Nick

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
Re: Sanborn, D, (2004, 2006), "Opinionism"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »
I'm a dogmatic sede to myself only.
But in my interactions with other traditional Catholics,
I'm an opinionist sede.
It seems non-catholic to call the opinionist ( either for Or against sedevacantism ) position
" not catholic " and to even deny them the sacraments.
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

Nick

• TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
Personally, for me;
This means that I will only attend Non Una Cum Masses.
But I won't condemn / attack those who attend Una Cum Masses.
For others, I'd hope that my priest would promote the dogmatic sede position;
But that he wouldn't enforce it at the Communion Rail / or in his provision of the other Sacraments.

Just stating my own position here,
I don't have either the skills nor the inclination to actually discuss it in any formal manner.
Sad, but true.

I just find it kinda cultish that there are sedes out there , that apply the Una Cum standard ( towards others ) as a determination as to whether or not they are " good Catholics ".
I just cannot equate the opinionists, of either camp, with Notorious and Public heretics, and then deny them communion at a Public Mass.

:incense:
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

The following users thanked this post: MyrnaM

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
Nick,

Please note that discussion is limited in the resources subfora. Users are more than encouraged to discuss these issues but please begin a different thread (or contribute to an existing one). :)
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

The following users thanked this post: Nick

Nick

• TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 05:36:14 PM »
There seem to be quite a few traditionalists who hold the position that since the Church has not declared Bergoglio and his Vatican II predecessors as anti-popes, that it is a legitimate theological opinion to hold that he is the pope or that he is not the pope, whichever you prefer, but that neither position is offensive to the Faith.

In this article, which was written by Bp. Sanborn some years ago during the false pontificate of Benedict XVI, he gives five reasons he believes this position is untenable.

http://www.traditionalmass.org/images/articles/Opinionism.pdf

This is a good article. Well presented articles like this, and others similar, are the reason I personally become a dogmatic sede. I'm unable and unwilling though to enforce this in my interactions with the opinionists,

Just my dogmatic opinion.    8)

Nick

• TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 05:38:15 PM »
Nick,

Please note that discussion is limited in the resources subfora. Users are more than encouraged to discuss these issues but please begin a different thread (or contribute to an existing one). :)

Okay, sorry about that.
I'd already reposted before I'd read that,
I do apologize.
I'll stop rambling now.