Author Topic: Problems?  (Read 948 times)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
Re: Problems?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 01:05:29 PM »
See most recent post in the change log here: http://thetradforum.com/index.php?topic=69.0

Having a "marital" status field for profiles was something I meant to do but forgot to get around to.  The single options are as they are so that users can communicate appropriately with one another.  It seemed to me that just having "single" and "married" options might invite unwanted solicitations.  Of course, having single (available) might seem a little match-makery which is not at all what we're going for.  Just looking for a way for users to describe their marital status effectively.  If you have suggestions, feel free to share.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »
Basically, I was looking for some way to differentiate between (e.g.) a twenty year old bachelor and an eighty year old widow whose taken private vows.  Both are "single" but in completely different ways.  Again, definitely open to suggestions on the marital status if anyone has better ideas.

I see the "marital status" as essentially a user protection.  It is not compulsory to list yours (just don't select anything).  But especially for male/female PM's, it seems useful to know the marital status of users in the interest of decorum and appropriate communications.  I'm not looking at it as something that should provide enormous details (for instance, someone may live a very penitential life and not wish to share that with others; ergo, simply the "single (not available)" option) about users, but as an optional tool to protect users.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:10:44 PM by Mithrandylan »

TKGS

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
Does this information show up anywhere other than in the profile?  Will I ever see this information if I don't specifically view a member's profile?

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »
As it's currently set, it will only be available to view by going to someone's profile.

Reasons for this are:

1) The avatars are already a little crowded with member ranking, personalized texts/custom titles, gender, post count, and thank counts.
2) It is not the sort of thing that I envision as an "identifier", but more as "background" info-- in other words, it's not as important.

But if anyone has some good reasons for making it available to see otherwise, we're all ears.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 05:47:24 PM »
After a few hours of thinking about it, I ditched the distinction. I think it was too prying, so now the available statuses are married, betrothed, or single.

2Vermont

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2017, 07:32:19 AM »
Clearing your browser’s cache and cookies means that website settings (like usernames and passwords) will be deleted and some sites might appear to be a little slower because all of the images have to be loaded again.

So clearing cache and cookies sounds like this will remove my passwords, etc from my computer.  Not sure I like that option.   Does Internet Explorer work better for this forum?
I've not tested in IE, mainly because it's generally terrible even at it's best and very few people use it.  You're welcome to try!

But we're optimized for Firefox, so if you don't want to clear cache/cookies, I'd go for Firefox instead.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I just tried IE (simply because I already have it on my computer)...and it looks great.  Wow, so much better with the quote wrapping.  The other gives you a headache.
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

tlm97

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2017, 12:14:35 PM »
The banner doesn't align on mobile. I don't want to use taptalk
It is error to believe that Every man is free to embrace and profess that religion which, guided by the light of reason, he shall consider true.
-Bl. Pope Pius IX

Barbara

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
After a few hours of thinking about it, I ditched the distinction. I think it was too prying, so now the available statuses are married, betrothed, or single.
Thank you. I set mine to single.
Mother of God, pray for us sinners.

GPRW

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2017, 08:55:19 PM »
If you encounter any problems with the forum, please post them here!  All the testing occurred in Firefox so that is the browser I recommend, but I know other people may have a preferred browser.  Please be sure to indicate your browser when posting your problem.
How can I tag someone in a post or reply, if there is a function here?

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »
If you encounter any problems with the forum, please post them here!  All the testing occurred in Firefox so that is the browser I recommend, but I know other people may have a preferred browser.  Please be sure to indicate your browser when posting your problem.
How can I tag someone in a post or reply, if there is a function here?

There isn't a tagging feature proper. 

If the user in question has already posted in the thread in which you're posting, it will appear in their recent replies to unread posts feed.  Depending on their notification settings, it may appear elsewhere, too.

If the user in question has not posted in the thread in question, you could send them a PM if you really want to make sure they see it.  But to be honest, given that we're only just now getting our feet under us, I would assume that most users read-- or at least open-- all new threads.  Maybe just bold the name or otherwise draw attention to it if you really want to make it clear that you're looking for the thoughts or attention of a particular person.