Author Topic: Hybrid Prayer Thread: Another Baby and some Language Discussion  (Read 872 times)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
Hybrid Prayer Thread: Another Baby and some Language Discussion
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
I'm pretty late to "announce" this, but we're expecting number two.  All has been well so far (only about a month and a half left), but if I could please beseech your charitable prayers for the continued health of mother and child along with a safe and (as much as can be hoped for) anxiety-free delivery.

Now, I have something of a naming dilemma.  We are having another girl, and I am very favorable of the name "Domenica".  Or, should it be "Dominica"?

We're not even remotely Mediterranean in the slightest (we're about as white as God makes 'em), so we've already jumped the shark in terms of a culturally appropriate name (though my argument is that if you're Catholic, your culture is far more encompassing, so Domenica/Dominica is certainly not out of bounds."  I have always favored Greek and Roman names.  Eusebia wouldn't fly with the Missus, though.  Nor did Athanasia, nor Scholastica.  But we are both on board with Dominica/Domenica as a serious contender.

What is the (lingual, cultural, etc.) difference between these two spellings?  Aesthetically, I prefer the use of the "e."  I also prefer it  phonemically, because I prefer the subtle sound difference of Doe-Meh-ni-Ka over Doe-Mih-ni-Ka.  But I also want to respect the name and its etymological roots, and I don't want to "get creative" just to satisfy my aesthetic and aural preferences.

Thank you!

I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

The following users thanked this post: MyrnaM

Lynne

Re: Hybrid Prayer Thread: Another Baby and some Language Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »
I can't speak to the language/name question but prayers will go up for the mom and baby (and the rest of the family)!  :D

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Kayla_veronica, MyrnaM

TKGS

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
All I can say is that the former Reverend Mother of the CMRI nuns at Mount St. Michael's name is Mother Mary Dominica...spelled with an "i".

I didn't even know the name could be spelled with an "e", but I was looking it up and saw that both spellings are acceptable.

My son just suggested that, in his opinion, you should use the spelling most closely associated with the saint you are naming her after.  I presume that you are naming her after St. Dominic, so he thought she should be Dominica, though he also noted that i's are sometime changed to e's when you feminize a name.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:35:20 PM by TKGS »

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »
Congratulations, and prayers for the new baby. You have had some heartaches in this department, if I recall correctly.

I checked a couple of lists of Dominican saints, and none of the female ones were named after St. Dominic, so can't help you there.

However, if the intention is to indicate devotion to Low Sunday, then it would be Dominica (in albis).

Introit: 1 Peter 2:2: As newborn babes, alleluia, desire the rational milk without guile. Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.
Mother of God, pray for us sinners.

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »
I can't speak to the language/name question but prayers will go up for the mom and baby (and the rest of the family)!  :D

Ditto
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

ClemensMaria

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
I know a French lady named Dominique with accent on the final syllable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominique

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominique_(given_name)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:35:02 PM by ClemensMaria »

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, MyrnaM

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 05:07:12 AM »
I know a French lady named Dominique with accent on the final syllable.
Oh, now that's a nice name.
Mother of God, pray for us sinners.

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, MyrnaM

MyrnaM

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:25:58 AM »
That is my most favorite of all ... Dominique!

My granddaughter is expecting her second baby at the same time, early January.  They have no idea what they are having, they already have a daughter age 2.  How exciting for these new parents, I feel everything will be just fine. 

:pray: :pray: :pray:
Myforever.blog/blog

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Kayla_veronica

GottmitunsAlex

• Magister Hospitalis Domus Sanctae Mariae Teutonicorum Hierosolymitani
  • TTF Novice
  • Bisch fliche Gnaden,Bischof Franz Justus Rarkowski
    • Youtube
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 05:34:04 PM »
 :pray: :pray:
"As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise: The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people." -Pope St. Pius X

"No Jew adores God! Who say so?  The Son of God say so."-St. John Chrysostom

Penitent

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
Congratulations!

I like this spelling the best.   Dominique. Looks so feminine.