Author Topic: Diets and Fasting  (Read 368 times)

Matto

Diets and Fasting
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »
This post is about dieting. I am dieting now and I have been looking for information about different kinds of diets and fasts. I have seen people who do the atkins, low carb, or ketogenic diets. And there are people who eat only one meal a day but eat whatever they want in that one meal. And there are people who eat normally one day and eat nothing the next. And there are people who eat high carb, low fat and low protein diets. There are so many different kinds of diets and there are people who do all these different kinds and say that they all work and are all healthy. In choosing how I have been eating I have thought about the health side and the natural side and the weight loss side but also the religious aspect of fasting. I thought that during Lent we eat less food and less meat and dairy so I thought it would be good to do that instead of the low carb diets which are the opposite, eating lots of meat and dairy. I figured many of the monks and saints ate mostly grains or potatoes with vegetables and little meat. So in thinking of this I have been trying to come up with a diet that is good for me as a way to do penance, lose weight, and be healthy. I began in June and at first I decided to eat only one meal a day (except on Sundays) but eat regular food, with carbs, meat and dairy. It was good and I started to lose weight and I was happy with what I was eating. From the middle of June to the end of August I lost around twenty five pounds. Then I thought it would be good if I ate less meat. So I considered what it would be good to eat. I considered eating mostly potatoes or bread or rice with a little other food for vitamins. I decided to eat rice and red lentils instead of potatoes or bread. I decided to eat an egg with my rice and lentils for health reasons because I was under the impression that it is hard to get all of your nutrition on a purely vegan diet and that eating an egg or two helps with that. So now I am eating my rice and lentils and egg with a little vegetables and in September and October I have lost fifteen more pounds. I have had no problems at all so far. I am happy with what I am eating and I do not get hungry until it is near the time to eat dinner. This is what I have been eating on a normal weekday:

In the morning I have two cups of coffee with half and half and sugar. I do not eat breakfast or lunch. Then for dinner I have a half a cup of rice and a quarter cup of red lentils (dry measured) with some salt and chicken broth, except on Fridays. I also eat one hard-boiled egg and a small amount of vegetables with a half a cup of orange juice. Some days I have black tea or water or diet soda but I have found that this does not effect my weight loss.

This is a lot less food than I used to eat but for some reason I am not getting hungry and I am satisfied with the amount of food I am eating. I figured since I have been eating less I would get hungry more but the opposite has been the case. As far as losing weight is concerned I have been losing about two pounds a week or so and overall I have lost forty pounds since June. I am happier eating less than I used to be and am happy with my weight loss results. Pretty soon I will be skinny so I will not want to lose more weight or else I would waste away and I don't know what I should do then. I am happy eating less but I will reach a point where I will have to eat more because I will get too skinny. I think that will be harder than it is for me now. Perhaps I will start eating bread or potatoes instead of rice and lentils.

Before I started eating less I was overweight because I used to eat too much and also because I used to drink beer and also because I take medicine that causes weight gain.

Anyway on this thread I just wanted to talk about my dieting and I was hoping others who are also on diets or used to be would talk about how they are eating and what works for them.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
Re: Diets and Fasting
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
Good for you!

I went gluten free for about a year, once. Did it in solidarity with the wife. I was very strict about it, no beer or anything.

It's difficult to describe exactly how I felt, but I think the best way to put it is 'clean and pure.'. Evidently bread today is much different from bread years ago, and the bread we have now isn't really made for the human body.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

Matto

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 01:36:18 PM »
Good for you!

I went gluten free for about a year, once. Did it in solidarity with the wife. I was very strict about it, no beer or anything.
Thanks. I am interested in this topic because I am trying to lose weight. What interests me most is that there are so many different ways of losing weight. Some people lose weight by going low carb. Some people lose weight by going gluten free. Some people lose weight by going vegan. Other people lose weight by restricting calories. And other people lose weight by what they call intermittent fasting which is kind of what I have been doing. And often people seem to think the way they went was the only way that works and ignore the fact that others are successful in different ways. It is kind of like they believe that "outside of ketogenic there is no salvation." So I wanted to talk about different kinds of diets that help different people lose weight. Yes, there are people who lose weight by eating mostly meat and dairy. But there are also people who lose weight by eating nothing but potatoes. My goal was to lose fifty-five pounds as quick as possible and then maintain that weight. And I have been having success in a different way than many people do, not by following the popular low-carb diets.

I know this thread is not about traditional Catholicism but it is relevant in a way as many of us have to lose weight at some time in our lives and also we all go on a kind of diet every Lent.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 01:43:24 PM by Matto »

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 01:42:15 PM »
Good for you!

Thanks. I am interested in this topic because I am trying to lose weight. What interests me most is that there are so many different ways of losing weight. Some people lose weight by going low carb. Some people lose weight by going vegan. Other people lose weight by restricting calories. And other people lose weight by what they call intermittent fasting. And often some of them seem to think the way they went was the only way that works and ignore the fact that others lose weight in different ways. It is kind of like they believe that "outside of ketogenic there is no salvation." So I wanted to talk about different kinds of diets that help different people lose weight. Yes, there are people who lose weight by eating mostly meat and dairy. But there are also people who lose weight by eating nothing but potatoes. My goal was to lose fifty-five pounds as quick as possible and then maintain that weight. And I have been having success in a different way than many people do, the popular low-carb way.

I have an unusually fast metabolism and pretty much always have, so I have very little experience in attempting to lose weight-- I don't think I've ever gone on a diet for that reason.

People do tend to get-- eh, "dogmatic"-- about the best way to lose weight.  But if you go online, you'll see that while one person swears by aerobics another person swears by paleo, or some even say you need both, or something else altogether.  So I think it's clear enough that lots of different things factor into what's "best"-- genetics, lifestyle, existing health, and so on.  I know in principle it all boils down to energy balance (i.e., caloric input/output), but exactly the best way to establish that from one person to the next seems to differ quite a bit. 

I guess I could say that being born with a fast metabolism is the best way to lose weight and keep it off :D

EricH

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 03:25:18 PM »
I used to overeat like a typical American, but I never gained weight because I was active and I'm a natural beanpole.  When I learned that gluttony is a sin, and that St. Jerome said "nothing is so unbecoming a Christian as an overfull belly," I started eating less.  It took years to get into a steady habit of eating moderately and to shake off the desire to eat too large a meal.

I think the body gets accustomed to its usual food intake, both kind and quantity, and that it takes a good deal of time and effort to make a change.  Also, the body wants more food than is good for it, so healthy eating requires some self-denial even after it has become a habit.

I've always tried to eat healthy food.  For most of my life that meant vegetables of many colors, whole grains, not much red meat, low fat, low cholesterol, margarine instead of butter.  I tried a mostly plant-based diet for a while but didn't notice any difference.  Then I found the Weston Price Foundation and started eating their way, more or less, which was fine but not earth-shattering for me.  Then I read some articles advocating a high-fat low-carb moderate-protein diet and explaining that low-fat high-carb is the cause of the obesity epidemic, so I tried adding more fat to my diet.  After an adjustment period I had more energy, needed less sleep, and never felt very hungry, so I've been eating this way ever since.  It's practical: meat, dairy, and vegetables, with plenty of butter, lard, or tallow (not the factory-made plant oils or trans fats).  Keep the starch and sugar to a minimum without being fanatical about it.  It's inexpensive if you eat eggs for protein or buy meat on sale.  It's not penitential, but you can do penance by eating less.

I've read that a normal body will naturally bring itself to a healthy weight on this diet.  So the weight loss will stop when the excess weight is gone, without a change in eating habits.

The following users thanked this post: Penitent

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 07:42:05 PM »
I can definitely say that by the end of Lent, my stomach has shrunk.  Don't know if it literally has, but come Easter, I really don't need much at all.  Which of course is ironic, since Easter is the greatest feast of the year.  Anyways, you're both right about the cultivation of habit required for eating quantity and quality. 

Aristotle says that virtue is a habit.  The two aren't synonyms, of course, but given modern man's twisted views of virtue (seeing it as basically gradations of social justice sentiments) which require no actual effort, is it any surprise that people are so overweight today?  They've found no value whatsoever in the idea of practicing any particular thing-- they're perfect and special "out of the box".  Millennials especially.

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 02:23:51 PM »
I was a fat child, a fat teenager, and a fat young adult, always anywhere between 40-70 lbs overweight.

With help on the physical, emotional, and spiritual planes I was able to lose the excess weight in my 20's and have kept it off ever since, give or take 10 pounds here or there.

One suggestion that can help is to see if there is a deeper hunger, an emptiness in one's life that is being avoided by filling it with food, which of course does not satisfy it and can make it worse.

The deadly sin of gluttony is not often addressed in spiritual books or sermons, say compared to pride, avarice, or lust. Intemperance with alcohol is more frequently discussed but not often gluttony with food. If anyone knows of books or sermons on this, I'd appreciate the information.
Mother of God, pray for us sinners.

EricH

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »
I was a fat child, a fat teenager, and a fat young adult, always anywhere between 40-70 lbs overweight.

With help on the physical, emotional, and spiritual planes I was able to lose the excess weight in my 20's and have kept it off ever since, give or take 10 pounds here or there.

One suggestion that can help is to see if there is a deeper hunger, an emptiness in one's life that is being avoided by filling it with food, which of course does not satisfy it and can make it worse.

The deadly sin of gluttony is not often addressed in spiritual books or sermons, say compared to pride, avarice, or lust. Intemperance with alcohol is more frequently discussed but not often gluttony with food. If anyone knows of books or sermons on this, I'd appreciate the information.

Nice to see you here, Barbara!  Congrats on losing the weight and keeping it off.

Here are some good sermons on gluttony: Sermons of Fr. Francis Hunolt, vol. 1, pp. 236-282 (https://archive.org/details/thebadchristian03hunouoft)

The following users thanked this post: Barbara

Barbara

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 06:06:41 PM »
Well, that was quite a feast of reading material! It confirmed a suspicion, which is that although no longer overweight, I still have many gluttonous habits.

There is a popular term now, "foodie," which in many cases would be a synonym for glutton.

Mother of God, pray for us sinners.

speraindeo

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 08:09:12 AM »
For those of you who have problems with weight, please take a look at Vitamin B5 which is considered the anti-fat vitamin.

Here's a link to the Vitamin C forum which discusses the use of Vit B5.

http://www.vitaminc.foundation/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13338
Contra factum non argumentum est.