Author Topic: Atheist Shooter  (Read 133 times)

OmegaTrad

Atheist Shooter
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »
How significant is it that the Sutherland Springs shooter was an atheist?  This article claims that by relying on his atheism people are avoiding bigger issues https://newrepublic.com/article/145703/right-obsessed-sutherland-springs-shooters-atheism and that shooters aren't usually atheists.

But isn't it usually the case that shooters, whether they are "atheist" or not, are usually easy to label as Godless?  The Las Vegas shooter was basically a hedonist.  The Columbine kids were "goth."  And all the rest.

I think it's significant that the shooter was atheist.  But I'm not sure it's so much about the label as it is about the godlessness behind the senseless violence.  The article above tries to give examples of Christians who commit these crimes and fail pretty miserably.  They can just cite people who killed abortion "doctors" and the guy who shot up a walmart, who apparently owned a lot of bibles.

Callixtus

Re: Atheist Shooter
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 12:32:23 PM »
Yes, they are all godless.  It takes a very godless person to do these things, all the more godless to do these things in a Church, and to small children.  This evil man was executing INFANTS in a church.  They want to make it sound like it was domestic abuse run amuck.  I don't think so.  There are plenty of people who kill their close family members without taking it out on the community.  There's a big difference between someone who kills a family member or even multiple family members and someone who goes to kill a family member but is ready to kill everyone else, too.  The atheism is a big part of it, I'm sure.  I've heard that he was a very militant atheist. 

annamack

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
The most common thread with all of these terrorists seems to be that they have been on mind-altering drugs (cannabis or anti-depressants). 

The following users thanked this post: Callixtus

Callixtus

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
The most common thread with all of these terrorists seems to be that they have been on mind-altering drugs (cannabis or anti-depressants).

People are far too relaxed about marijuana.  The argument is that it just makes people relaxed, isn't as dangerous as alcohol, etc.  In truth it makes people reprehensibly selfish, and prone to vice.  It is a "gateway" not in the sense that it leads to other drugs (maybe it does, maybe it doesn't) but in the sense that it reinforces hedonism and selfishness.  And that's what you're legalizing, that's what you're making legitimate when you make marijuana legal.

OmegaTrad

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »
I seriously doubt there is a significant problem of people smoking pot and then going on a killing spree.

Especially since most "heavy" pot smokers have built up a pretty significant tolerance.  Point being that the things they do when under the influence aren't very distinguishable from things they do not under the influence.

The following users thanked this post: Nick