Author Topic: De Lugo, John. (1646). "Communicating with Undeclared Heretics in Sacred Things"  (Read 69 times)

Joe Cupertino

The second chief doubt is whether we may communicate with an undeclared heretic only in civil and human affairs or even in sacred and spiritual things.  It is certain that we cannot communicate with heretics in the rites proper to a heretical sect, because this would be contrary to the precept of confessing the faith and would contain an implicit profession of error.  But the question relates to sacred matters containing no error, e.g. whether it is lawful to hear Mass with a heretic, or to celebrate in his presence, or to be present while he celebrates in the Catholic rite, etc. …But the opposite view [i.e. that attendance at such a Mass is lawful] is general [communis] and true, unless it should be illicit for some other reason on account of scandal or implicit denial of the faith, or because charity obliges one to impede the sin of the heretical minister administering unworthily where necessity does not urge.  This is the teaching of Navarro and Sanchez, Suarez, Hurtado and is what I have said in speaking of the sacrament of penance and of matrimony and the other sacraments.  It is also certain by virtue of the said litterae extravagantes [i.e. Ad evitanda scandala] in which communication with excommunicati tolerati is conceded to the faithful in the reception and administration of the sacraments.  So as these heretics are not declared excommunicates or notoriously guilty of striking a cleric, there is no reason why we should be prevented from receiving the sacraments from them because of their excommunication, although on other grounds this may often be illicit unless necessity excuse as I have explained in the said places.

---De Lugo, Cardinal S.J. (1583-1660), Tractatus de virtuto fidei divinae.  1646. 3rd ed. 1696.  Translated by John Daly.

[source] http://strobertbellarmine.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86&p=5883
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:34:05 PM by Joe Cupertino »

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan