Author Topic: Vid Angel  (Read 180 times)

Kayla_veronica

Vid Angel
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »
Has anybody tried this out? Their new model of connecting to your Netflix and Amazon accounts looks super promising, assuming they don't get sued into oblivion. I'm not sure the amount of content they currently have is worth the $7.99, though. Hope they continue to add more!

https://www.vidangel.com

Lynne

Re: Vid Angel
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 06:56:33 AM »
I really should support them. I love the concept. I haven't tried it yet, though...

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:43:18 AM »
Running a free trial now.

The selection is somewhat limited, though that's to be expected, I suppose, given that a) they can't stream content from any studios with whom they're in a lawsuit and b) the sort of manpower required to provide filters for TV shows especially, which often include more than a hundred hours of media given the length of the show. 

Have watched five or six episodes of Narcos through Vid Angel, and it does the job well, eliminating smut.  Supposing they don't get sunk by their lawsuit, would definitely continue to use it.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

Archer

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »
Has anybody tried this out? Their new model of connecting to your Netflix and Amazon accounts looks super promising, assuming they don't get sued into oblivion. I'm not sure the amount of content they currently have is worth the $7.99, though. Hope they continue to add more!

We used Vidangel prior to the lawsuit. We don't watch a lot of full-length movies, so we haven't taken the plunge on the new subscribe model. I liked the option to pay a buck per movie and wish they could offer that again.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »

We used Vidangel prior to the lawsuit. We don't watch a lot of full-length movies, so we haven't taken the plunge on the new subscribe model. I liked the option to pay a buck per movie and wish they could offer that again.

The real value, as I see it, isn't so much in films but in "television" streaming-- original content serials published by Netflix (and similar visual streaming companies).  The future of visual consumption is the streaming platform and high-quality, high-budget serials.  Netflix has set the bar very high for this new delivery medium and other companies have followed suit, and will continue following suit (e.g., Disney's purchase of 21st Century Fox combined with their own streaming platform which will be released in 2020 or so).  Point being that there are less and less films even worth considering, while the amount of well-done serials is increasing. 

I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.