Author Topic: lead us not into temptation  (Read 207 times)

MyrnaM

lead us not into temptation
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:34:57 PM »
I don't really pay that much of attention to what Francis says these days, but upon hearing a few times now that he is right to point out an error in the way we have been praying the "Our Father" -  The line in question is, ďand lead us not into temptation."
I myself never believed we were actually thinking and asking God not to lead us into temptation for He can not lead us but He does allow temptation.  In my small mind I thought He, was allowing us this but also by our asking He in His mercy would deliver us from it. 
So is Francis right for once, have we all been praying the "Our Father" wrongly?
Myforever.blog/blog

annamack

Re: lead us not into temptation
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:27:23 AM »
I don't really pay that much of attention to what Francis says these days, but upon hearing a few times now that he is right to point out an error in the way we have been praying the "Our Father" -  The line in question is, ďand lead us not into temptation."
I myself never believed we were actually thinking and asking God not to lead us into temptation for He can not lead us but He does allow temptation.  In my small mind I thought He, was allowing us this but also by our asking He in His mercy would deliver us from it. 
So is Francis right for once, have we all been praying the "Our Father" wrongly?

The words are taken from the Gospels, which were revealed by God.  Our Lord used the wrong words?  The Church, since its inception, has used the wrong words?  Bergoglio is using the right words?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:30:04 AM by annamack »

The following users thanked this post: MyrnaM

MyrnaM

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 08:23:39 AM »
Great questions annamack! 

I wonder what he has up his sleeve.
Myforever.blog/blog

TKGS

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »
I remember a move to completely revamp the Our Father when I was in high school many years ago.  I remember the first line was going to be changed to, "Our Father in heaven, may your name be held holy."

Ultimately, the whole thing was scrapped for ecumenical reasons!  If American Catholics changed the Our Father they wouldn't be able to pray it with the Protestants!

The only question for the American [Conciliar] bishops is:  Which takes priority?  Ecumenism or Razing the Bastions?

The following users thanked this post: Troubled Teen, annamack, ubipetrus

Callixtus

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 09:29:43 AM »
I don't know if "inducas" is best translated as "lead" but it's been translated that way forever and no one seriously thinks that Almighty God takes our hand and leads us to a precipice that he THROWS US OFF OF.  Stupid.

The following users thanked this post: Troubled Teen, annamack

TKGS

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 05:55:56 PM »
I don't know if "inducas" is best translated as "lead" but it's been translated that way forever and no one seriously thinks that Almighty God takes our hand and leads us to a precipice that he THROWS US OFF OF.  Stupid.

Actually, the "better" translation would be "induce" or "influence".  Thus it would seem that the more "correct" translation would be "Induce us not in temptation", which would be even more troublesome to Mr. Bergoglio.

Rubecorks

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 07:01:00 PM »
The Roman Catechism, also known as the "Catechism of the Council of Trent", instructs parish priests to teach their parishes according to the following:

https://books.google.com/books?id=-gF-Ppo4PKQC&dq=%22we%20do%20not%20ask%20to%20be%20totally%20exempt%20from%20temptation%22&pg=PA372#v=twopage&q&f=true

Geremia

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »
Read St. Thomas Aquinas's Expositio in orationem dominicam a. 6 for an explanation of "and lead us not into temptation.":
But does God lead one to evil, that he should pray: "Lead us not into temptation"? I reply that God is said to lead a person into evil by permitting him to the extent that, because of his many sins, He withdraws His grace from man, and as a result of this withdrawal man does fall into sin.