Author Topic: Catholic Library tucked away on the Web  (Read 134 times)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
Catholic Library tucked away on the Web
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »
Found a pretty cool resource!

Not posting in resources thread because it doesn't really fit the format.

Here is a voluminous catalog of pre-conciliar texts similar to Caminus' "The Catholic Archive."  The site itself is not in English, but the catalog of works includes a bevy of English works.  They are scanned and of good quality, although unfortunately not OCR.  No account nor fee required to use.

http://www.obrascatolicas.com/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=53

A little Spanish familiarity might help in navigating the site but the books themselves are titled in whatever the language of the book was written.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

The following users thanked this post: Troubled Teen, Vinny Zee

Vinny Zee

Re: Catholic Library tucked away on the Web
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »
Found a pretty cool resource!

Not posting in resources thread because it doesn't really fit the format.

Here is a voluminous catalog of pre-conciliar texts similar to Caminus' "The Catholic Archive."  The site itself is not in English, but the catalog of works includes a bevy of English works.  They are scanned and of good quality, although unfortunately not OCR.  No account nor fee required to use.

http://www.obrascatolicas.com/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=53

A little Spanish familiarity might help in navigating the site but the books themselves are titled in whatever the language of the book was written.

If you open it in Google Chrome and click "Translate" it will put the entire site's table of contents on each page into English. As for the documents themselves, probably not, especially if they are in PDF or some other form.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:16:44 PM by Vinny Zee »

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Barbara

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
Re: Catholic Library tucked away on the Web
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
Good tip, Vinny!

And on a related point, does anyone have any good (preferably open-source/freeware) OCR suggestions?

I have quite a few scanned books which are not OCR, and while I can scroll to the index, it's inexorably quicker, if researching, to be able to do a keyword search within the document.

I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.