Author Topic: Can you drink alcohol on days of Fast?  (Read 231 times)

Nctradcath

Can you drink alcohol on days of Fast?
« on: December 23, 2017, 11:54:49 AM »
Dear Forum, can you drink alcohol on days of fast?

annamack

Re: Can you drink alcohol on days of Fast?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 01:35:20 PM »

I'd really like the answer to that to be "yes" but my understanding is that the answer is actually "no"  :(  Someone please tell me that I'm wrong!

Nctradcath

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
I talked to Father Ahern. The answer is yes.

Rubecorks

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »

I'd really like the answer to that to be "yes" but my understanding is that the answer is actually "no"  :(  Someone please tell me that I'm wrong!

Liquids are not food, so they don't pertain to fasting.  However, in the spirit of the fast day, it would be "better" not to have alcohol.

TKGS

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 07:29:57 PM »
The answer is yes, alcohol may be consumed on a day of fast.  Alcohol, however, breaks the required three hour Eucharistic fast so one may not receive communion if alcohol is consumed within the preceding three hours. 

Rubecorks

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 08:11:31 PM »
The answer is yes, alcohol may be consumed on a day of fast.  Alcohol, however, breaks the required three hour Eucharistic fast so one may not receive communion if alcohol is consumed within the preceding three hours.

Please give your source for this.

TKGS

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »
Definition of a fast from the Commentary on the New Code of Canon Law by the Rev. P. Chas. Augustine, O.S.B., D.D., (published 1918):
The law of fasting permits only one full meal a day, but it does not forbid the taking of some food for breakfast and supper. The quantity and quality of this repast is left to local custom. Care must be taken that one does not take "something" between meals too often on days of fast, as this might eventually constitute a considerable quantity or amount almost to a full meal.

Please note that the commentary does not address beverages at all.  Drinking beverages does not break the fast and no one has ever produced a priest who claimed that drinking beverages breaks a fast.

Interestingly, Catholic Encyclopedia explains the following in its definition of fast:
Strictly speaking, whatever may be classified under the head of liquids may be taken as drink or medicine at any time of the day or night on fasting days. Hence, water, lemonade, soda, water, ginger ale, wine, beer and similar drinks may be taken on fasting days outside meal time even though such beverages may, to some extent, prove nutritious.

As for the Eucharistic fast, this was address by Pope Pius XII in his motu proprio, Sacram Communionem dated 19 March 1957:
We limited the period of time for the observance of the Eucharistic fast before the celebration of Mass or the reception of Holy Communion in the afternoon to three hours from solid food and to one hour from non-alcoholic liquids.

This is further explained in the document:
(2)   The period of time for the observance of the Eucharistic fast by priests who wish to celebrate Mass and by the faithful who wish to receive Holy Communion, whether in the forenoon or in the afternoon, is limited to three hours for solid food and alcoholic beverages. The Eucharistic fast is not broken through the consumption of water.

(3)   The Eucharistic fast as specified in the above regulation (n. 2) must be observed even by those who celebrate Mass or receive Holy Communion at midnight or in the early hours of the day.

Thus, the three hour fast is required prior to the reception of Holy Communion at midnight Mass on Christmas day.  No hot toddies after around 9:30 p.m. on Christmas Eve (assuming a Low Mass).

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:52:39 PM by TKGS »

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Nick, Rubecorks, annamack

TKGS

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 08:50:52 PM »
Accidental double post

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 03:04:51 AM »
 :tablecheers:
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

The following users thanked this post: Troubled Teen, annamack

annamack

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 06:27:18 AM »

Liquids are not food, so they don't pertain to fasting.  However, in the spirit of the fast day, it would be "better" not to have alcohol.

Ah, I'd gained the impression that alcohol was out all together and any other drinks not taken at a meal were breaking the "spirit of the fast".  I'm glad to have been wrong, since I now don't need to confess the half a glass of red wine I succumbed to at the office Christmas dinner on Friday (after having fasted all day, of course!).