Author Topic: Can you drink alcohol on days of Fast?  (Read 230 times)

Rubecorks

Re: Can you drink alcohol on days of Fast?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »
Dear Forum, can you drink alcohol on days of fast?

I'd really like the answer to that to be "yes" but my understanding is that the answer is actually "no"  :(  Someone please tell me that I'm wrong!

Liquids are not food, so they don't pertain to fasting.  However, in the spirit of the fast day, it would be "better" not to have alcohol.

Ah, I'd gained the impression that alcohol was out all together and any other drinks not taken at a meal were breaking the "spirit of the fast".  I'm glad to have been wrong, since I now don't need to confess the half a glass of red wine I succumbed to at the office Christmas dinner on Friday (after having fasted all day, of course!).

If you confess something that is not a sin, the priest should know enough to tell you it is not a sin.

annamack

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »

If you confess something that is not a sin, the priest should know enough to tell you it is not a sin.

And I have no doubt that he would have done, but I am glad not now to be living in ignorance  :confused: and that I will not have to put him to that trouble  :angel:

TKGS

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 11:21:23 AM »

And I have no doubt that he would have done, but I am glad not now to be living in ignorance  :confused: and that I will not have to put him to that trouble  :angel:

This kind of thing can prove difficult.  I regularly attend two different chapels.  One chapel follows the pre-1954 Missal and the other follows the 1954 Missal.  So on Holy Saturday, one priest considers the fast to end at noon while the other priest considers the fast to continue the whole of Holy Saturday.

If only we had a pope to resolve such differences of opinion.

The following users thanked this post: annamack