Author Topic: Rouvier, F., S.J.(1924) “The Conquest of Heaven” - Perfect Contrition  (Read 280 times)

Wenceslav

First published in French in 1913 but republished in the English language in 1924. It is a wonderful book with a chapter on mental prayer but is mostly concerned with the promotion of making an act of perfect contrition by the laity - which according to the esteemed author is not difficult to make. This book is not found on archive.org but can be downloaded here (my google drive).

The preface includes an endorsement of the book and it’s contents by Cardinal Merry Del Val who assures us that the book is much appreciated by Pope St. Pius X.

The Vatican, March 19, 1913.

Secretariat of State
of His Holiness.

Reverend Father:

It has been a pleasure for me to put into the Holy Father's hands a copy of your recent work, “The Conquest of Heaven,” a book published with full ecclesiastical approval. This proof of your filial veneration for the Sovereign Pontiff he has been graciously pleased to accept.
To make known to the faithful in a simple and luminous treatise, the nature of perfect charity and contrition, by pointing out all their excellence and inestimable benefits, and after having replied clearly to all the objections made against them, to indicate ways and means by which these Acts may be produced and to induce your readers to repeat them frequently during their life, is the object of your book which is destined to enlighten many souls and to do great good.
The Holy Father takes pleasure in congratulating you on this work and begs our Lord to bless it. He grants you with his whole heart the Apostolic Blessing.
For my own part, I am deeply grateful for the copy you have so kindly sent me, and I eagerly seize this opportunity of thanking you for it.
Accept, Reverend Father, with my congratulations, my most devoted sentiments in our Lord.

R. Card. Merry del Val.

Rubecorks

Re: Rouvier, F., S.J.(1924) “The Conquest of Heaven” - Perfect Contrition
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
I believe that if the Pope and Cardinal Del Val were aware that this book was contradicting the Roman Catechism, they would not have given their approval.

It is a shame that with the coming of age of digital resurrection of dead books, people are fooled into thinking that every book that was once-in-time published, should continue to be approved and published forever, even though after the time it was really published it ceased to be, and were meant no longer be proliferated among Catholics, and for good reason. I whole new problem in the history of the Church to add to Vatican II problems.

Nctradcath

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »
It is presumptuous to assume that a man as learned and esteemed as Cardinal de Val would even write a letter of approval  on behalf of a book with your seeming objection in mind and would not understand immediately by the title and subject matter of a book on the ease of “perfect contrition”  would be objected to by those like yourself with the same exact argument. It would almost imply that he is poorly trained or deficient in basic catechesis or moral theology. I would argue that he is correct in his view and that you rubecorks are not.

Rubecorks

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 01:03:15 PM »
It is presumptuous to assume that a man as learned and esteemed as Cardinal de Val would even write a letter of approval  on behalf of a book with your seeming objection in mind and would not understand immediately by the title and subject matter of a book on the ease of “perfect contrition”  would be objected to by those like yourself with the same exact argument. It would almost imply that he is poorly trained or deficient in basic catechesis or moral theology. I would argue that he is correct in his view and that you rubecorks are not.

Or....that he approved something based on trust, and simply made a mistake. Which can and have occurred to holy and well-trained clergy. Many such went with Vatican II, otherwise why not accept Vatican II based on the learning argument?

Nctradcath

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
The book itself is on the ease of perfect contrition. He would know the objections that you make before seriously putting his approval to it. He is not a simple country priest, but a learned theologian and friend of St. Pius X.

Nctradcath

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »
I would believe that you misunderstand things before I would buy that he misunderstands this issue.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Rubecorks

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
I would believe that you misunderstand things before I would buy that he misunderstands this issue.

And that is what the Novus Ordo would say about people opposing the prelates of Vatican II.

Lynne

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 04:44:23 PM »

And that is what the Novus Ordo would say about people opposing the prelates of Vatican II.

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Wenceslav

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »

That picture is...
Way Tooooo Gay !
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

The following users thanked this post: Troubled Teen

Rubecorks

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »

That picture is...
Way Tooooo Gay !

I can only say that even a deaf, dumb and blind man can make the same gesture when he is annoyed at something that he cannot explain.