Author Topic: Rouvier, F., S.J.(1924) “The Conquest of Heaven” - Perfect Contrition  (Read 279 times)

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
Re: Rouvier, F., S.J.(1924) “The Conquest of Heaven” - Perfect Contrition
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 05:27:58 PM »
I would believe that you misunderstand things before I would buy that he misunderstands this issue.

And that is what the Novus Ordo would say about people opposing the prelates of Vatican II.

That picture is...
Way Tooooo Gay !

I can only say that even a deaf, dumb and blind man can make the same gesture when he is annoyed at something that he cannot explain.

Let's not beat around the bush,
Only women and faggots make this gesture .
Some metrosexuals may try to emulate it, but they really can't carry it off.
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

TKGS

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 05:44:41 PM »
Are you guys serious arguing over whether a Hollywood actor is a sexual pervert?

The following users thanked this post: Nick, Troubled Teen

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 06:03:03 PM »
LOL, that's kind of an oxymoron isn't it ?

" there are politicians and there are liars, but, I repeat myself " :beer:

Sorry TKGS, I had no idea who the character was,
Thanks for pointing it out  :o
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:09:04 PM by Nick »
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

Troubled Teen

• TTF Novice
  • I'm the guy who sucks (plus I got depression)
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »
Let's not beat around the bush,
Only women and faggots make this gesture .
Some metrosexuals may try to emulate it, but they really can't carry it off.

This is the content I crave.
"Man knoweth not whether he be worthy of love, or hatred." - Ecclesiastes 9:1

"In the present time the directive is to stick to the essentials of Christianity: to flee the world, believe in Christ, do all the good that one can, strive for detachment from created things, avoid false prophets and remember death." - Fr. Leonardo Castellani

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan

Lynne

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 07:05:57 AM »
First published in French in 1913 but republished in the English language in 1924. It is a wonderful book with a chapter on mental prayer but is mostly concerned with the promotion of making an act of perfect contrition by the laity - which according to the esteemed author is not difficult to make. This book is not found on archive.org but can be downloaded here (my google drive).

The preface includes an endorsement of the book and it’s contents by Cardinal Merry Del Val who assures us that the book is much appreciated by Pope St. Pius X.

The Vatican, March 19, 1913.

Secretariat of State
of His Holiness.

Reverend Father:

It has been a pleasure for me to put into the Holy Father's hands a copy of your recent work, “The Conquest of Heaven,” a book published with full ecclesiastical approval. This proof of your filial veneration for the Sovereign Pontiff he has been graciously pleased to accept.
To make known to the faithful in a simple and luminous treatise, the nature of perfect charity and contrition, by pointing out all their excellence and inestimable benefits, and after having replied clearly to all the objections made against them, to indicate ways and means by which these Acts may be produced and to induce your readers to repeat them frequently during their life, is the object of your book which is destined to enlighten many souls and to do great good.
The Holy Father takes pleasure in congratulating you on this work and begs our Lord to bless it. He grants you with his whole heart the Apostolic Blessing.
For my own part, I am deeply grateful for the copy you have so kindly sent me, and I eagerly seize this opportunity of thanking you for it.
Accept, Reverend Father, with my congratulations, my most devoted sentiments in our Lord.

R. Card. Merry del Val.

Thanks for posting this! Great scan. Did you do it?

Rubecorks

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
First published in French in 1913 but republished in the English language in 1924. It is a wonderful book with a chapter on mental prayer but is mostly concerned with the promotion of making an act of perfect contrition by the laity - which according to the esteemed author is not difficult to make. This book is not found on archive.org but can be downloaded here (my google drive).

The preface includes an endorsement of the book and it’s contents by Cardinal Merry Del Val who assures us that the book is much appreciated by Pope St. Pius X.

The Vatican, March 19, 1913.

Secretariat of State
of His Holiness.

Reverend Father:

It has been a pleasure for me to put into the Holy Father's hands a copy of your recent work, “The Conquest of Heaven,” a book published with full ecclesiastical approval. This proof of your filial veneration for the Sovereign Pontiff he has been graciously pleased to accept.
To make known to the faithful in a simple and luminous treatise, the nature of perfect charity and contrition, by pointing out all their excellence and inestimable benefits, and after having replied clearly to all the objections made against them, to indicate ways and means by which these Acts may be produced and to induce your readers to repeat them frequently during their life, is the object of your book which is destined to enlighten many souls and to do great good.
The Holy Father takes pleasure in congratulating you on this work and begs our Lord to bless it. He grants you with his whole heart the Apostolic Blessing.
For my own part, I am deeply grateful for the copy you have so kindly sent me, and I eagerly seize this opportunity of thanking you for it.
Accept, Reverend Father, with my congratulations, my most devoted sentiments in our Lord.

R. Card. Merry del Val.

So, you firmly believe that Cardinal Merry del Val explicitly learned somewhere that the Roman Catechism was not only wrong about 'perfect contrition being difficult for one in mortal sin', but also wrong when it stated that 'all the theologians of his day under St. Pius V believed the same'? 

And where would that source be that says that about the Roman Catechism?

When we have a previous magisterial document that teaches something, and later some clergyman seems to oppose it, the traditional thing to do is side with the magisterial source and consider the personal opinion of the later clergyman mistaken.  The Roman Catechism is a magisterial source, and the book by Rouvier is not; it was a book once published and forgotten, only to be resurrected by modern OCR.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 08:57:59 AM »
Please be mindful that discussion is not allowed in the resources forum!

I'm going to split the discussion off.

Good find, Wenceslav!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:04:32 AM by Mithrandylan »
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

Wenceslav

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »
Lynne said:

Thanks Lynne! I have a czur scanner i.e. relatively inexpensive. I can scan a 300 page book in a couple of minutes. There are a few kinks in the system like a different hue in some of the scans of the book pages but for a quickie job it isn’t that bad. I have a lot of Catholic books that I will eventually scan and make available here - a lot of Greek Catholic missals, devotional books etc.

Merry Christmas!