Author Topic: The Morality of Circumcision  (Read 722 times)

SedeForChrist

The Morality of Circumcision
« on: December 23, 2017, 04:34:19 PM »
Moderator Note: This thread was split from the Hannukah at the Vatican thread.  normally I won't split threads like this, but literally every post after the OP (and maybe the post after it) had nothing at all to do with the topic.  Please start new threads for stuff like this, because it's really tedious to have to go through and relabel everything (you'll notice that every post in the thread, as of now, says "edited by Mithrandylan" because I had to change the post topic for each individual post).  Thanks! --Mithrandylan

**************************************************************************************************************************

Hi guys, if you go to the comments section of the NOW article, you will see a lively discussion (why does this always happen to me :facepalm:) about the morality/prudence/practicality of circumcision as a medical/hygienic procedure. The original issue was a question posted which asked specifically and ONLY about it's morality. Unfortunately, people like to make the opinion they have of it being supposedly impractical/imprudent into the equivalent of it being immoral (which is an obvious fallacy). Any comments of good will appreciated. Merry Christmas! :party:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:41:30 PM by Mithrandylan »

Rubecorks

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
Hi guys, if you go to the comments section of the NOW article, you will see a lively discussion (why does this always happen to me :facepalm:) about the morality/prudence/practicality of circumcision as a medical/hygienic procedure. The original issue was a question posted which asked specifically and ONLY about it's morality. Unfortunately, people like to make the opinion they have of it being supposedly impractical/imprudent into the equivalent of it being immoral (which is an obvious fallacy). Any comments of good will appreciated. Merry Christmas! :party:

You should have posted this as a new thread.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:37:06 PM by Mithrandylan »

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan

SedeForChrist

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »

You should have posted this as a new thread.

:wagfinger: :crossarms: :nodyes:

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:37:17 PM by Mithrandylan »

annamack

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 09:06:47 AM »

I still think that you're wrong  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:37:25 PM by Mithrandylan »

The following users thanked this post: Nick

SedeForChrist

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 07:07:03 PM »

I still think that you're wrong  :lol:

Great. Merry Christmas
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:37:34 PM by Mithrandylan »

SedeForChrist

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 07:09:17 PM »
If someone can prove from authority that circumcision is intrinsically evil, I will apologize for my comments and delete them. Otherwise, I won't respond anymore (maybe). Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:37:49 PM by Mithrandylan »

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 09:20:13 PM »
So if mutilation of the body is okay, then I'm gunna get me sum more tattoos , okay ?

Circumcision, the first time, but Not the last time, that you got ripped off.

Kinda funny that yewish influence on our thunking yah ?  :cig:

:soap:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:37:58 PM by Mithrandylan »
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

The following users thanked this post: annamack

Nick

• TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 09:39:42 PM »
It's only rarely required for hygiene / medical reasons.
It's usually done for religious reasons, reasons of vanity , or having the misfortune of having some really ignorant parents.
I'm bound by certain Professional Codes of Conduct which make it imprudent for me to comment further on the pros and cons of the medical arguments.
Ditto, on any vaccination disputes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:38:04 PM by Mithrandylan »
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

Nick

• TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
Find "the principle of choice, not the actual choice" argument raised on NOW to be more than a little weird .
To use an extreme analogy, how many babies would choose abortion for themselves ?
See a problem with " respecting the right of the parent " on this one ?
To use another extreme analogy, this kind of thinking is often used to ' justify' FGM.
It's okay to rabbit on about theological arguments here, but when it comes down to practical issues, lets be practical.
I don't think that it's possible yet to regrow a foreskin successfully.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:38:12 PM by Mithrandylan »

2Vermont

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 06:50:47 AM »
If someone can prove from authority that circumcision is intrinsically evil, I will apologize for my comments and delete them. Otherwise, I won't respond anymore (maybe). Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

I think this is the key.  Until this offered up, everyone is just sharing their own personal opinion.  What we do know is that, as Catholics, we must not perform circumcisions for the same reason that the Jews perform circumcisions (i.e. because under the Old Law He commanded it). 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:38:19 PM by Mithrandylan »
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

The following users thanked this post: SedeForChrist