Author Topic: The Morality of Circumcision  (Read 721 times)

true catholic

• TTF Novice
Re: Cantate Domino says no to circumcision!
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2018, 12:35:27 PM »
from Council of Florence (A.D. 1438-1445), Cantate Domino, Papal Bull of Pope Eugene IV:
Quote from: Pope Eugene IV
Therefore, it [the sacrosanct Roman Church] commands all who glory in the name of Christian, at whatever time, before or after baptism, to cease entirely from circumcision, since, whether or not one places hope in it, it cannot be observed at all without the loss of eternal salvation.

All I can say is that if the statement I highlighted above is to be absolutely literally understood to include circumcision that has been routinely performed in hospitals for generations in the United States, then most Catholic men who were born in the Twentieth Century have already been absolutely excluded from salvation because their parents simply accepted the word of the medical authorities who delivered their babies.

I agree.  Some people refuse to see the distinction between the two.  They get hung up on the text "since, whether or not one places hope in it,".   The key word is "observing" circumcision i.e. the ceremony.  Cutting the foreskin for medical reasons is completely distinct from "observing" circumcision. 

Geremia

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »
All I can say is that if the statement I highlighted above is to be absolutely literally understood to include circumcision that has been routinely performed in hospitals for generations in the United States, then most Catholic men who were born in the Twentieth Century have already been absolutely excluded from salvation because their parents simply accepted the word of the medical authorities who delivered their babies.
Children are not punished for parents' sins.

Geremia

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2018, 04:52:43 PM »
The key word is "observing" circumcision i.e. the ceremony.  Cutting the foreskin for medical reasons is completely distinct from "observing" circumcision.
What, in addition to removing foreskin, is essential to "observing" circumcision?

TKGS

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2018, 06:01:17 PM »
Children are not punished for parents' sins.
I'm also considering all the parents who accepted the word of the medical authorities.