Author Topic: Flat Earth  (Read 650 times)

Anonimus

Flat Earth
« on: December 27, 2017, 10:07:13 PM »
A reluctant topic -and feel free to delete the thread Mith if you do not want it to pollute your forum- but does this stupidity have more, or less, appeal among sedes than say, the general R&R crowd?

I have a reason for asking:

If the general public would consider the sede position a more radical position than R&R, I am wondering if other radical positions are also more likely to find a home among the same crowd, or, is the generally more intellectual sede crowd even more intolerant of this flat earth insanity?

2Vermont

Re: Flat Earth
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »
I think you should ask Meg, a fellow anti-sede, on CI.  She is a full-blown flat earther.
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Nick

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 11:05:34 PM »
I think you should ask Meg, a fellow anti-sede, on CI.  She is a full-blown flat earther.
[/quote

Yup, C.I. demonstrates a clear correlation between rabid anti S.V.ism and trenchent flat earth tardism.
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:17:20 AM »
I've not run into any sedevacantist flat earthers, and while I don't follow them, I don't even think the Dimonds are flat earthers.  My reason for thinking that is that I'm sure they would have showed up cited on CI if they were.

I find that flat earth coincides with Feeneyism and dogmatic geocentrism.  Both of which are patently non-sedevacantist views, because both depend on a very corrupted form of Catholic learning which views the ordinary magisterium only as legitimate when it repeats the extraordinary magisterium.  When you view the Catholic faith that way, there's very little you're prevented from rejecting or embracing (as dogma) in principle. 
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

The following users thanked this post: Nick, Anonimus

Rubecorks

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »
I think it is more the R&R crowd that goes for it, at least judging from CI, which seems to have found a home for itself to freely promote, along with the Feeneyism.

The following users thanked this post: Nick

TKGS

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
The one guy I personally know who believes in the "flat earth" went to my sedevacantist chapel for about a year when he moved to the area.  I never understood why he came to this chapel because he wasn't a sedevacantist, at least, his comments always sounded more R&R than anything else.  He also seriously asked why we thought that time only seemed to go in one direction.  Last year he disappeared from the chapel.  After a while I called him up I had his phone number and it turned out that he decided to go to the SSPX chapel in town.  He would not tell me any of the reasons why he decided to go there.  I don't think he was trying to "convert" anyone as he really wasn't very personable or able to make any kind of cogent argument about anything.

Other than him, all of the flat earthers I know are on CathInfo and I'm pretty sure all of them are rabid anti-sedevacantists.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 03:14:00 PM by TKGS »

ClemensMaria

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 10:35:36 AM »
It’s a waste of time to try to correlate FE to one or another of the positions we disagree with.  It’s especially tempting with FE since it appears to be such an easily refuted position.  If we could tie it to a less easily refuted position we could kill two birds with one stone.  But in doing that we would be making a philosophical error.  Let’s just stick to refuting them with pre-V2 theology.

2Vermont

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
I actually think that if there is any link to Flat Earth followers, it is probably those who have a tendency towards a number of conspiracy theories:  Moon landing, 9/11, JFK assassination, etc.

"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

ClemensMaria

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 11:26:03 AM »
I haven’t yet met a Catholic who isn’t at least sympathetic to one or another conspiracy theories.  And if there exists today anyone who doesn’t subscribe to any conspiracy theories at all, we would have to wonder if he wasn’t in on one.

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Nick, annamack

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
Conspiracy theories come with the territory.  By definition, all traditional Catholics apprehend an insidious Marxist-Masonic conspiracy where the Church was infiltrated, over the course of about fifty to seventy-five years, by actual, proper agents of the enemy, who pulled their levers at Vatican II.  Probably the most significant conspiracy in the history of mankind after the deicidal conspiracy of the Sanhedrin

I don't object to flat earth except when people try to shovel it as a doctrine, which, like Feeneyism, has simply gone untaught for five hundred years due to the Church being miserable at executing Her mission.  If it's just a conspiracy theory (i.e., postulated as a true physical fact but without the claim that the Church has taught it or requires belief in it), it's just kind of stupid and silly.  But when one goes further, as most do (at least in the tradosphere), then a host of other problems, some very serious, are belied.

I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.