Author Topic: Flat Earth  (Read 656 times)

tmw89

Re: Flat Earth
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 11:56:14 PM »
A reluctant topic -and feel free to delete the thread Mith if you do not want it to pollute your forum- but does this stupidity have more, or less, appeal among sedes than say, the general R&R crowd?

I am glad that when this topic was brought up, it was properly identified for what it is: stupidity.  The Flat Earth crap is stupid, through and through.  It's the kind of nonsense I'd expect from Fundie Prots who are under the influence of a particularly eccentric (and stupid) "preacher."  This nonsense should be given no appearance of toleration (let alone approval!) in the Trad community.

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, TKGS, Nick, Troubled Teen, annamack, Archer

Troubled Teen

• TTF Novice
  • I'm the guy who sucks (plus I got depression)
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 12:43:01 AM »
"Man knoweth not whether he be worthy of love, or hatred." - Ecclesiastes 9:1

"In the present time the directive is to stick to the essentials of Christianity: to flee the world, believe in Christ, do all the good that one can, strive for detachment from created things, avoid false prophets and remember death." - Fr. Leonardo Castellani

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 01:51:27 AM »
Dude you are truly troubled  :pot:
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

annamack

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 07:33:06 AM »
Yes, I agree that to a certain extent all traditional Catholics believe in one huge conspiracy theory, but I would bet that if someone was a Flat Earther, they are probably also a 9/11 conspiracist, etc or will become one.

The Flat-Earthers are just not very bright (witness meathead Freddie Flintoff, the latest "celeb" to espouse the theory).  That doesn't mean that all conspiracy theories are stupid.  Can anyone with half a brain seriously still think that Oswald acted alone?  Or that there wasn't something extremely odd about "Building 7"?  It's not smart to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

2Vermont

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 08:04:41 AM »
Yes, I agree that to a certain extent all traditional Catholics believe in one huge conspiracy theory, but I would bet that if someone was a Flat Earther, they are probably also a 9/11 conspiracist, etc or will become one.

The Flat-Earthers are just not very bright (witness meathead Freddie Flintoff, the latest "celeb" to espouse the theory).  That doesn't mean that all conspiracy theories are stupid.  Can anyone with half a brain seriously still think that Oswald acted alone?  Or that there wasn't something extremely odd about "Building 7"?  It's not smart to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I would be careful about calling them "stupid".  I happen to know someone who is reading a book about it (although has not decided one way or the other).  I can assure you that he is not stupid.  I really think something else is going on there.  Perhaps a lack of trust in the "establishment".
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

The following users thanked this post: SedeForChrist

Rubecorks

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
A reluctant topic -and feel free to delete the thread Mith if you do not want it to pollute your forum- but does this stupidity have more, or less, appeal among sedes than say, the general R&R crowd?

I am glad that when this topic was brought up, it was properly identified for what it is: stupidity.  The Flat Earth crap is stupid, through and through.  It's the kind of nonsense I'd expect from Fundie Prots who are under the influence of a particularly eccentric (and stupid) "preacher."  This nonsense should be given no appearance of toleration (let alone approval!) in the Trad community.

I have suspected that these people who push the flat earth on a Catholic forum, are there to get their jollies to make traditional Catholics look foolish. I get the feeling it's a sort of sophomoric "creative anachronism" type of fun. Matthew McDevitt has admitted to liking eccentric people, so his site has become a haven for them.

The following users thanked this post: Nick

annamack

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »

I would be careful about calling them "stupid".  I happen to know someone who is reading a book about it (although has not decided one way or the other).  I can assure you that he is not stupid.  I really think something else is going on there.  Perhaps a lack of trust in the "establishment".

No doubt when he finishes reading his book, he will realise what a stupid belief it is.  Don't we all have a "lack of trust in the establishment"?  It would be pretty stupid to have trust in it!

GPRW

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »

I have a reason for asking:

If the general public would consider the sede position a more radical position than R&R, I am wondering if other radical positions are also more likely to find a home among the same crowd, or, is the generally more intellectual sede crowd even more intolerant of this flat earth insanity?

Honestly, I do not feel so. Actually, I think neither Sedevacantist nor R-R-ers are particularly interested in this thing. This is much more of an Evangelical/Fundamentalist thing, from my observation. So the quick answer to your question is no, in my opinion.

Also, I do not see why the general public see Sedes and R-R-ers differently. For the general public, both campus are very anti-Obama, pro-life, anti-Jew/Judaism, anti-Muslim/Islam, anti-establishment (Vatican, Fed, etc), both think the current Popes ("Popes") to be too liberal, far-right "gun nuts", and so on. There are members from both camps to be listed as "hate groups".

If you really want to name one conspiracy theory that Sedes are more subscribed to than the R-R-ers, I would say "Holocaust/Holohoax". From the Sedes I know, pretty much everyone has expressed problems with the official narrative, ranging from soft doubt to hard rejection. A number of R-R-ers, on the other hand, do not express too much resentment to the official narrative, so I assume they are either accepting or just not too interested. Like the Sedes, however, the R-R-ers are not fans of the (((Juden))).

(For the Six Quintillion Jews thing, I personally would not say it is a hoax, but I definitely have my strong doubt here.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:19:54 PM by GPRW »

Rubecorks

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 01:33:28 PM »

I have a reason for asking:

If the general public would consider the sede position a more radical position than R&R, I am wondering if other radical positions are also more likely to find a home among the same crowd, or, is the generally more intellectual sede crowd even more intolerant of this flat earth insanity?

Honestly, I do not feel so. Actually, I think neither Sedevacantist nor R-R-ers are particularly interested in this thing. This is much more of an Evangelical/Fundamentalist thing, from my observation. So the quick answer to your question is no, in my opinion.

Also, I do not see why the general public see Sedes and R-R-ers differently. For the general public, both campus are very anti-Obama, pro-life, anti-Jew/Judaism, anti-Muslim/Islam, anti-establishment (Vatican, Fed, etc), both think the current Popes ("Popes") to be too liberal, far-right "gun nuts", and so on. There are members from both camps to be listed as "hate groups".

If you really want to name one conspiracy theory that Sedes are more subscribed to than the R-R-ers, I would say "Holocaust/Holohoax". From the Sedes I know, pretty much everyone has expressed problems with the official narrative, ranging from soft doubt to hard rejection. A number of R-R-ers, on the other hand, do not express too much resentment to the official narrative, so I assume they are either accepting or just not too interested. Like the Sedes, however, the R-R-ers are not fans of the (((Juden))).

(For the Six Quintillion Jews thing, I personally would not say it is a hoax, but I definitely have my strong doubt here.)

I think the way they treated Bp. Williamson concerning the Holocaust has created a great reluctance to criticize the facts pertaining to the Holocaust. The way the SSPX clergy disowned him gave a very strong message to the average spixxie.

The following users thanked this post: Nick, Troubled Teen, SedeForChrist

TKGS

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »
Actually, I think neither Sedevacantist nor R-R-ers are particularly interested in this thing. This is much more of an Evangelical/Fundamentalist thing, from my observation. So the quick answer to your question is no, in my opinion.

The "Flat-Earth Community" is, I think, extremely small.  I didn't even know it was a thing until people started posting on CathInfo.  Initially, I thought it was a joke when I saw my first posts.  It took me a while to realize these people were serious.  Since the only "Flat-Earthers" I know are from CathInfo, I really have no idea what the demographics are of this group--other than that most (on CathInfo, anyway) seem to be dogmatic anti-sedevacatists.

I'm also not sure about the demographics of the "Holocaust/Holohoax" issue.  While Jews and others were identified for internment, forced labor, and other things, the pre-war population of Jews in Europe compared to the post-war population of Jews in Europe does not permit one to accept the six million deaths figure.  The fact that certain prominent Jews tried to fly that same figure after WWI doesn't really help make any of this believable.  In any event, I really don't seem a correlation between R&R/Sedevacantist and the position on this issue.

The following users thanked this post: annamack