Author Topic: Eastern Rite Catholics  (Read 436 times)

Rubecorks

Re: Eastern Rite Catholics
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Nick

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »
Okay, that's my first smile of the day.
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

Troubled Teen

• TTF Novice
  • I'm the guy who sucks (plus I got depression)
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 07:40:10 PM »
On a similar note, why do you [ T.T.]  present yourself as 'a teen'?

It's tongue-in-cheek but I'm pretty young (24) so I might as well be a teen compared to the rest of y'all.
"Man knoweth not whether he be worthy of love, or hatred." - Ecclesiastes 9:1

"In the present time the directive is to stick to the essentials of Christianity: to flee the world, believe in Christ, do all the good that one can, strive for detachment from created things, avoid false prophets and remember death." - Fr. Leonardo Castellani

Rubecorks

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 07:45:23 PM »
On a similar note, why do you [ T.T.]  present yourself as 'a teen'?

It's tongue-in-cheek but I'm pretty young (24) so I might as well be a teen compared to the rest of y'all.

Okay, so we know now you are not a teen. Can you now reveal you are not "troubled"?

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan

Troubled Teen

• TTF Novice
  • I'm the guy who sucks (plus I got depression)
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »
Feel like I'm getting hazed here.
"Man knoweth not whether he be worthy of love, or hatred." - Ecclesiastes 9:1

"In the present time the directive is to stick to the essentials of Christianity: to flee the world, believe in Christ, do all the good that one can, strive for detachment from created things, avoid false prophets and remember death." - Fr. Leonardo Castellani

Rubecorks

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 08:06:11 PM »
Feel like I'm getting hazed here.

Your feelings are a part of a good intuition.

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Troubled Teen

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2017, 11:34:35 PM »
Okay, just had the second smile of the day.
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 10:34:06 AM »
The appropriateness of the word autonomous isn't a hill that I'm interested in dying on, but let's just keep in mind that that's essentially what's at stake here.  Whether or not the word is inappropriate to a degree that would make it properly ill-advised to use.  Given the context (of a discussion board of traditional Catholics) and also the pains gone to to qualify the word, I don't have a problem with it, but I understand the reasons people have given for their own problems with it, and my counter-argument is simply that I don't think the word connotes all of the things it is feared to.  "Autocephalous" would certainly be problematic, and "self-governing" in a similar way.  I think autonomous is broad enough a word (I know RC thinks that "autonomous" doesn't admit degrees, but autonomy does, and I think by extension we can say that autonomous does also) to avoid stating that they are somehow not subject to the pope.  Perhaps "practical autonomy" would be better?  "Relative autonomy?"  I don't know.  But at the end of the day, these are very real differences between the government and structure of the east and west, and they're differences that require description.  So long as the clarifications are made to limit the scope of the selected description, the argument isn't really a theological one.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

TKGS

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
It's not a matter of dying on the hill of definitions.  But if one is accused of heresy because he uses a word that conveys a heretical meaning, the user of the word must explain his use of the word and show how he meant it in an orthodox sense.  If he does not do so, then I fully expect that one can legitimately call him a heretic and the forum moderators will accept that characterization.

Clearly, one can inadvertently write something that can be understood in a heretical way while not intending a heretical meaning, but if one refuses to explain after being questioned then he must intend that heretical understanding.  This is, in fact, the case we see with Conciliar priests and bishops all the time.

The following users thanked this post: annamack

2Vermont

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 08:25:10 PM »
It seems to me that the R&R camp and the Eastern Rite camps are very, very similar.  People in both camps seem to think that they can just do whatever they want without regard to the pope.  Based on everything I've seen posted by Eastern Catholics (and/or schismatics), they hold to the same heretical notions of the papacy as the R&R.

The more I think on this, the more I think you are correct.  They both have cardboard popes.
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)