Author Topic: St. Thomas Becket  (Read 111 times)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
St. Thomas Becket
« on: December 29, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
Today is the Feast of St. Thomas Becket.  He was the Bishop of Canterbury, living in England about a hundred years after the Norman invasion of England.  He was martyred on the orders of Henry II.  Not just a stalwart defender of orthodoxy but a great example of someone who was luke-warm and who was given (and accepted) God's grace to become a Holy example to the faithful for centuries to come.

The full movie "Becket" (1962) is available on YouTube.  Might be on Netflix or Prime, too.  Not for children.  Henry was a lecherous King (The thumbnail is unrelated, it is from him being whipped in punishment of Becket's murder).

I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

The following users thanked this post: Troubled Teen

Rubecorks

Re: St. Thomas Becket
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »
Not just a stalwart defender of orthodoxy but a great example of someone who was luke-warm and who was given (and accepted) God's grace to become a Holy example to the faithful for centuries to come.

Where do you get luke-warn from?

TKGS

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »
Not just a stalwart defender of orthodoxy but a great example of someone who was luke-warm and who was given (and accepted) God's grace to become a Holy example to the faithful for centuries to come.

Every biography I've read about this saint indicates that he was, at best, "luke-warm" in regards to the expression of his faith until he was appointed as the Archbishop.

Rubecorks

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »

Every biography I've read about this saint indicates that he was, at best, "luke-warm" in regards to the expression of his faith until he was appointed as the Archbishop.

It sounded originally as though Mith was saying he was luke-warm until he had the grace to become a martyr. I understand now. His appointment as Archbishop coincided with a second conversion and 8 years of saintly living ending in his martyrdom. God always gives the grace to everyone to become a saint. We don't will to accept it as did St. Thomas.