Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 711 times)

annamack

Re: Howdy
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »

When someone suspects a man's wife of having a significant influence on a decision of his, you actully consider that to be disrespecting his wife?!

I thought that a curious response.  I assumed that you were, rather, insulting Archer by suggesting that his wife leads him by the nose...

Archer

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 01:21:02 PM »

When someone suspects a man's wife of having a significant influence on a decision of his, you actully consider that to be disrespecting his wife?!

I thought that a curious response.  I assumed that you were, rather, insulting Archer by suggesting that his wife leads him by the nose...

I took it as a cheap shot across the board.
A shot at me for letting my wife control me, and at my wife by dragging her into it at all. If you have a problem with me, address me; leave my wife (and family) out of it.

Archer

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »
Modding a forum is difficult.

A forum is ultimately a publication, with the owners giving license to users to use the platform to publish their thoughts.  That being the case, there are tricky and unclear moral obligations in terms of what is allowed and what is not, when to intervene, when not to, etc.  Having modded three (or four, depending on if you count TTF 1.0) forums over the last five years or so, I know it's not uncommon for disagreements in vision, strategy, and morality to be a common source of tension "behind the scenes" of a given forum.  It's a very imperfect science!

Thanks Mith for a balanced response; you nailed it. A forum is only also only as good as its active members. With that license to publish, there will be ebbs and flows as characters come and go. But if there is a good core, it makes moderation a little easier because that core helps keep the balance. It's when the core is disrupted and things stray too far to the right or left of management's vision that things get harder to manage.

annamack

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 02:54:13 PM »

A shot at me for letting my wife control me, and at my wife by dragging her into it at all. If you have a problem with me, address me; leave my wife (and family) out of it.

Oh, gosh, another sensitive little man.  What a bore.

2Vermont

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 03:34:47 PM »
I couldn't care less about the "wife" comments. 

However, I do agree with Rube that I also remember Archer being quite anti-sede generally speaking.  Having said that, I am hoping that that is no longer the case since that was a long time ago.  Time will tell.
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

The following users thanked this post: annamack

Rubecorks

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »

It's commendable for a wife to try to convince her husband to do something better or avoid something bad. It's also commendable for a husband to take the advice/warning of his wife if it seems good or more prudent to him.

What I said about you, Archer, was perfectly charitable, as I was commending both you and your wife. I even felt the decision was a good one, even though I wasn't aware of your reasons.

You having mistaken my intention here is a good example of why it was good that you resigned as moderator from SD.

The following users thanked this post: annamack

Vinny Zee

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 05:00:16 PM »
I couldn't care less about the "wife" comments. 

However, I do agree with Rube that I also remember Archer being quite anti-sede generally speaking.  Having said that, I am hoping that that is no longer the case since that was a long time ago.  Time will tell.

I guess I need to understand your signature, "anything but sedevacantism." Is that saying meant in jest then for the way Catholics see the world who are not sedes? I guess I always assumed when I see your auto signature, that is your position. However, your comment above seems to suggest otherwise, so I'm honestly confused.

2Vermont

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 05:07:11 PM »
https://novusordowatch.org/2017/04/anything-but-sedevacantism/

With all due respect to Mario Derksen, I actually coined this phrase on Te Deum before he wrote that article.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:10:18 PM by 2Vermont »
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

Vinny Zee

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 05:48:39 PM »
https://novusordowatch.org/2017/04/anything-but-sedevacantism/

With all due respect to Mario Derksen, I actually coined this phrase on Te Deum before he wrote that article.

Got it. Yes, I've read the article.

Rubecorks

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »
Modding a forum is difficult.

A forum is ultimately a publication, with the owners giving license to users to use the platform to publish their thoughts.  That being the case, there are tricky and unclear moral obligations in terms of what is allowed and what is not, when to intervene, when not to, etc.  Having modded three (or four, depending on if you count TTF 1.0) forums over the last five years or so, I know it's not uncommon for disagreements in vision, strategy, and morality to be a common source of tension "behind the scenes" of a given forum.  It's a very imperfect science!

Actually, it is a science. It is called the "science of the Saints", which is comprised of learning & virtue. The more you have of both, the easier it is to moderate.