Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 706 times)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
Re: Howdy
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »
Oh c'mon RC, where's that sense of humor?
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

TKGS

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rubecorks

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 04:35:51 PM »

Sorry, I am generally not for sarcasm, particularly in print. Traditionally, sarcasm was used in-person, and where the listeners were sure to understand that the meaning was opposite from what was literally spoken. I have seen forum discussion somewhere calling for an available emoji clearly signifying sarcasm. Can we have that here?

2Vermont

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 05:47:48 PM »
Modding a forum is difficult.

A forum is ultimately a publication, with the owners giving license to users to use the platform to publish their thoughts.  That being the case, there are tricky and unclear moral obligations in terms of what is allowed and what is not, when to intervene, when not to, etc.  Having modded three (or four, depending on if you count TTF 1.0) forums over the last five years or so, I know it's not uncommon for disagreements in vision, strategy, and morality to be a common source of tension "behind the scenes" of a given forum.  It's a very imperfect science!

Actually, it is a science. It is called the "science of the Saints", which is comprised of learning & virtue. The more you have of both, the easier it is to moderate.

And then Mith responded with, "Not with users like Rubecorks."  Get it?

Just wanted to say that I was confused as well.  It would have been clearer if Mith had quoted which post he was referring to....
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 06:15:34 PM »
Fair enough, I modified the post to make it clearer.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

The following users thanked this post: 2Vermont

Rubecorks

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 06:29:33 PM »
Modding a forum is difficult.

A forum is ultimately a publication, with the owners giving license to users to use the platform to publish their thoughts.  That being the case, there are tricky and unclear moral obligations in terms of what is allowed and what is not, when to intervene, when not to, etc.  Having modded three (or four, depending on if you count TTF 1.0) forums over the last five years or so, I know it's not uncommon for disagreements in vision, strategy, and morality to be a common source of tension "behind the scenes" of a given forum.  It's a very imperfect science!

Actually, it is a science. It is called the "science of the Saints", which is comprised of learning & virtue. The more you have of both, the easier it is to moderate.

And then Mith responded with, "Not with users like Rubecorks."  Get it?

Just wanted to say that I was confused as well.  It would have been clearer if Mith had quoted which post he was referring to....

Whew!

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 12:35:13 AM »
Lighten up y'all, out in the real world, what is often construed in internet land as negative sarcasm; is often friendly banter ( teasing even ) between collegues within work teams that respect and often actually like each other. Seriously  :nodyes:  :cig:  :drinking:
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

Rubecorks

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 06:06:15 AM »
Lighten up y'all, out in the real world, what is often construed in internet land as negative sarcasm; is often friendly banter ( teasing even ) between collegues within work teams that respect and often actually like each other. Seriously  :nodyes:  :cig:  :drinking:

Everyone knows this very well. The point is about not being able to clearly discern it on the Internet, especially when it is inserted suddenly in a serious discussion.