Author Topic: NFL Playoffs!  (Read 439 times)

OmegaTrad

NFL Playoffs!
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
Some crazy games this weekend!  Jacksonville schlocked Pittsburgh, and Saints choked late. Anyone following it?  Any predictions or hopes?

tmw89

Re: NFL Playoffs!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 11:47:19 AM »
Given that there is no chance Green Bay will be in the Super Bowl, I'm in a good mood.  :party: :lol:

I'm guessing we'll see yet another Patriots Super Bowl victory, but I would not mind being proven wrong!

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan

2Vermont

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 03:25:14 PM »
Some crazy games this weekend!  Jacksonville schlocked Pittsburgh, and Saints choked late. Anyone following it?  Any predictions or hopes?

Saints choked?  Granted, I didn't watch the whole game, but given they fought back from a 16-0 deficit, I don't think I would call that choking.  I think both teams were equally shocked by that last play.
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:00:27 PM »
I've watched the Vikings my whole life.  I was eight when Gary Anderson missed that field goal.  I remember the 41-0 NFC Championship loss, Brett Favre throwing across his body, Blair Walsh becoming a case study against the Seahawks, etc.

I've never seen anything like yesterday in my entire life, not with that team.  Unreal.  Still processing it.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Lynne

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 07:05:41 AM »
I've watched the Vikings my whole life.  I was eight when Gary Anderson missed that field goal.  I remember the 41-0 NFC Championship loss, Brett Favre throwing across his body, Blair Walsh becoming a case study against the Seahawks, etc.

I've never seen anything like yesterday in my entire life, not with that team.  Unreal.  Still processing it.

At the end, I didn't think that they had a chance, and then, that last play...

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan

OmegaTrad

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »
What about the Jaguars, though?!  Even though they manhandled the Steelers earlier this year, how on earth do they score 45?!  And they gave up 42, even though their defense is supposed to be top notch.  Confusing team!  Can they give New England a run for their money?

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »
Joe Buck's call wasn't too bad, but what makes it is the genuineness of the excitement, which I suppose anyone could pull off.  Buck isn't a very creative play-by-play guy, and IMO it's creativity that sets the best apart (e.g. Costas and Scully).

But Paul Allen (local radio guy) had the call of a lifetime here, pretty exciting:

This is also a really cool shot; no play by play, just a pylon angle of the play and what makes it is the crowd-- going from dead silent to a deafening elation in the blink of an eye.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 02:05:24 PM »

At the end, I didn't think that they had a chance, and then, that last play...

Diggs still can't believe it:

ClemensMaria

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 11:01:30 PM »
I heard Skip Bayless (I think) compare Williams #43 to Bill Buckner.  So true!  Young and talented so maybe he can overcome it but greater guys were permanently broken by such events.  He not only failed to make an easy tackle but he took out the only other Saints player who had a chance to make a tackle.  All because he thought it was more important to keep the receiver in bounds than to just make sure he was tackled.  So what if he goes out of bounds with a second left on the clock?  Vikings still have to make a 50 yard field goal.  Give the Vikings credit, they fought hard until the very last play was finished.  They didn’t care if it was impossible to win.  They kept playing and they put themselves in position to take advantage of any mistake made by the Saints.  Good job!

ClemensMaria

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 11:10:08 PM »
What about the Jaguars, though?!  Even though they manhandled the Steelers earlier this year, how on earth do they score 45?!  And they gave up 42, even though their defense is supposed to be top notch.  Confusing team!  Can they give New England a run for their money?
Yes, should be a good game.  Jags match up well with Pats.  Not sure they will solve Gronk but the Pats have quite a few offensive weapons.  Everyone is focused on Jags D vs Pats O but how did Jags O put up 45 against Steelers?  That could be the real wildcard.  If the Pats figure out how to shutdown Bortles then Brady only has to put up a few points.  I think this game is hard to predict.

The following users thanked this post: OmegaTrad