Author Topic: Best/Favorite way to eat Sardines?  (Read 187 times)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
Best/Favorite way to eat Sardines?
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »
So I've been really into sardines lately.  They make a great snack and I feel great when I eat them.  Would like to know how people eat them.  I'm talking mainly about eating them as a spread atop crackers/toast, though I'd be interested in hearing other ideas, too.  These are tinned sardines, mind you.  But good ones, I gather.  Don't have crap added to them and are tinned in bpa-free containers.

So here's what I've found I like so far:

Cream cheese, paprika, and fresh lemon juice
Cream cheese, goat cheese, fresh dill, maybe a drop of tobasco
Mustard, capers, chili powder.

Anyone have anything good to add?  I've been experimenting A LOT so I'm up for trying anything.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

The following users thanked this post: Nick

GottmitunsAlex

• Magister Hospitalis Domus Sanctae Mariae Teutonicorum Hierosolymitani
  • TTF Novice
  • Bisch fliche Gnaden,Bischof Franz Justus Rarkowski
    • Youtube
Re: Best/Favorite way to eat Sardines?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:34:26 PM »
We eat them with heavy tomato sauce. 

Did you just acquire the taste for them? I have them sparingly. Mein father used to prepare us kids breakfast and one of his "specialties" was the sardine sandwich.
We though about "Oscar the grouch" upon feasting on the meal.  We did add ketchup to sweeten the taste. But then again, back then we added ketchup to everything. Especially eggs.
"As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise: The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people." -Pope St. Pius X

"No Jew adores God! Who say so?  The Son of God say so."-St. John Chrysostom

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:01:20 PM »

Whole, or broken up into a paste?  I could definitely see them with tomato sauce over a nice linguini or even a garlic bread.  Do you make the tomato sauce?  The wife has taken to making homemade marinaras lately.  Could try them with that.

Did you just acquire the taste for them? I have them sparingly.

My paternal grandmother is from England and that side of the family is very English.  So I took to eating sardines with simple fish and chip vinegar at an earlier age, but now that I live in a rural area, I can't get fish and chip vinegar to save my life.  I found mint sauce, and I think that's the best I can hope for.  Anyways, I would say that I have just rediscovered something of a taste for them, but again, not whole; I mince them up with a fork in a mixture of the ingredients described above and then spread.

Mein father used to prepare us kids breakfast and one of his "specialties" was the sardine sandwich.
We though about "Oscar the grouch" upon feasting on the meal.  We did add ketchup to sweeten the taste. But then again, back then we added ketchup to everything. Especially eggs.

Please tell me more about the sardine sandwhich.

GottmitunsAlex

• TTF Novice
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:39:47 PM »

Whole, or broken up into a paste?  I could definitely see them with tomato sauce over a nice linguini or even a garlic bread.  Do you make the tomato sauce?  The wife has taken to making homemade marinaras lately.  Could try them with that.
It's a paste. I don't have the recipe, but it's similar to what you just mentioned, marinara sauce.

Please tell me more about the sardine sandwhich.
Nothing elaborate, wheat slices, a layer of hot, refried beans over each slice, sardine halves in a row across atop the bean layer. 
Remember my dad used to sing Maurice Chevalier's "Enjoy it" song from "In search of the Castaways" movie while serving us the special.

"As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise: The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people." -Pope St. Pius X

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
Never would have thought to combine refried beans with them.  Maybe saute a bit of garlic and onion with that.  I'd throw it on some nice sourdough toast.

I think, though, I'd kill the missus if I kissed her after that.  Or even breathed in her general direction.

The following users thanked this post: GottmitunsAlex, Nick

GottmitunsAlex

• TTF Novice
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »
Never would have thought to combine refried beans with them.  Maybe saute a bit of garlic and onion with that.  I'd throw it on some nice sourdough toast.

I think, though, I'd kill the missus if I kissed her after that.  Or even breathed in her general direction.
Indeed.

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 09:49:03 PM »
Will eat them with a little Tabasco sauce ( or the local equivalent ).
Prefer tinned tuna slices with olive oil, though I always feel like i should be testing them with a Geiger counter first.
:-)
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

The following users thanked this post: GottmitunsAlex