Author Topic: Checking in  (Read 368 times)

Mysterium Fidei

Checking in
« on: October 17, 2017, 01:57:22 AM »
Just checking in from the old forum. I just got back from the Fatima Conference in Spokane so was surprised to see the new forum. Looks great!

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan

tmw89

Re: Checking in
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 08:00:13 AM »
Thanks -- we've tried hard to make the place as user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing as we can.

How was the conference?

GPRW

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:18:19 PM »
Just checking in from the old forum. I just got back from the Fatima Conference in Spokane so was surprised to see the new forum. Looks great!

Welcome to the new forum! Would you like to share some good stuff of this year's conference?

Callixtus

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »
Welcome.

Mysterium Fidei

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:48:27 PM »
Well, this is the third year in a row that I have been able to attend the Conference and it was, by far, the most attended Conference ever, obviously because of it being the 100th anniversary of Our Lady's appearance at Fatima.

They had converted more rooms at the Mount to be used as guest rooms for the Conference attendees and had also worked upgrading many of the rooms with new mattresses, paint, etc. There was still not enough room at the Mount for all of the Conference guests staying there, so some parishioners opened up their homes for guests as well and even this was not enough so arrangements were made for some guests to stay at a local motel.

I had stayed at the Mount my first year there, but last year and this year I stayed at the home of a couple who used to go to the same chapel as I do, but moved to Rathdrum, ID last year and were going to the Conference as well.

The theme of this years Conference was "Fatima and Perseverance" and many of the talks were relevant to that theme. The banquet and keynote address were held off site at the Southside Senior Activity Center in Spokane because of the large number of people attending it. I believe the facility could accommodate 300 people and it certainly seemed to be filled to capacity. Fr. Benedict Hughes delivered the keynote address entitled: "Fatima and Perseverance in the Faith", which was about applying Our Lady's message of prayer, penance, amendment of life and the rosary to our daily lives.

Fr. Dominic Radecki gave a talk entitled "The Apparitions of Our Lady in Modern Times"; Fr. Brendan Hughes gave a talk entitled "Portugal in the Design of Divine Providence" which was very interesting as it chronicled the history of Portugal and Fatima.

Friday there was a sung Pontifical High Mass, with Bp. Pivarunas as the celebrant. The Bishop also gave a lecture entitled "The Persecution and Perseverance in the Faith" which was followed by a question and answer session in which His Excellency answered questions.

Rain was forecast for Friday evening, Oct. 13, which was the 100th anniversary of the last apparition to the three children and the Miracle of the Sun and which there was planned an outdoor candlelight procession with the statue of Our Lady of Fatima with the recitation of the Glorious Mysteries of the Rosary, the Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the singing of the Fatima Ave.

As Providence would have it, it did not rain a drop during the entire procession although it was quite chilly as it got down into the 30's. The turnout for the procession was tremendous and I would estimate there were at least 300 to 400 people taking part of the procession and more watching it. The Church was filled to overflowing standing room only as the procession ended with flowers being laid at an image of Our Lady of Fatima in the Chapel of the Angels. This was followed by exposition of the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar, night prayers, and All Night Adoration. Quite a night!

Saturday is always the Day of Recollection in which silence is observed from 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM, with all the talks, concerning different facets of the spiritual life, being held in the Chapel. During lunch Fr. Benedict Hughes was reading from the Ascetical works of St. Alphonsus Liguori while everyone ate in silence. This was followed by a renewal of the Act of Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary by St. Louis Marie de Montfort.

One of the talks that I most enjoyed was the lecture given Saturday evening by a Mr. Drew Emmans, as he was a "youth pastor" in a Protestant church when he began to see the myriad of contradicting doctrines being taught by the various Protestant sects and this realization is what started him on his search for Truth. I very much related to his story as I also am a convert from Protestantism.

Many of us traditional Catholics are somewhat isolated and can only receive the sacraments on an irregular basis or can only get to Mass on Sunday, if they are lucky. To be able to go to Mass everyday, pray the rosary together and participate in daily prayer and devotions in communion with other traditional Catholics was definitely spiritualy edifying.

All in all the Conference was great and I would highly recommend it to anyone who might be hesitant to attend. Everyone there; the priests, sisters, laity of Mt. St. Micheal's, and guests are very friendly and open and it is a wonderful opportunity to interact with other traditional Catholics and make new friendships, which I have definitely done in going the last three years.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:22:25 PM by Mysterium Fidei »

The following users thanked this post: tmw89, TKGS, Barbara, Nick

TKGS

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »
Thank you for the review.  I look forward to being able to order the recordings of the talks but I have to give the sisters two or three weeks to get the order form for the recordings on the website. 

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 08:53:35 PM »
Welcome, Mysterium Fidei!  Good to see you here.  And the CMRI should cut you a check, that's quite an ad for the Fatima conference!

Looking forward to seeing them made available.  I listen to all of the CMRI conferences.  Bishop Pivarunas is an excellent speaker and has an admirable balance of intelligence and genuineness.  Glad to hear the turnout was so impressive, and that the weather was agreeable.  Although:

Quote from: Mysterium Fidei
it was quite chilly as it got down into the 30's.

You're not from the north, are you?  That's t-shirt weather!
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

Mysterium Fidei

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »
Welcome, Mysterium Fidei!  Good to see you here.  And the CMRI should cut you a check, that's quite an ad for the Fatima conference!

Looking forward to seeing them made available.  I listen to all of the CMRI conferences.  Bishop Pivarunas is an excellent speaker and has an admirable balance of intelligence and genuineness.  Glad to hear the turnout was so impressive, and that the weather was agreeable.  Although:

Quote from: Mysterium Fidei
it was quite chilly as it got down into the 30's.

You're not from the north, are you?  That's t-shirt weather!

Yeah, I am in Florida, so the 30's was "chilly" for me. I loved it though. It was great to get out of the heat and humidity for a few days. I miss the seasons. I may retire to Spokane.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
Four seasons keep me balanced.  Also, tundra keeps out crocodiles, tarantulas, scorpions, spatula-sized cockroaches, and the rest.  It's a good bargain.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

GottmitunsAlex

• Magister Hospitalis Domus Sanctae Mariae Teutonicorum Hierosolymitani
  • TTF Novice
  • Bisch fliche Gnaden,Bischof Franz Justus Rarkowski
    • Youtube
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 08:50:24 PM »
Four seasons keep me balanced.  Also, tundra keeps out crocodiles, tarantulas, scorpions, spatula-sized cockroaches, and the rest.  It's a good bargain.
But don't you wish you had feather-leaf palm trees.
"As the head of the Church, I cannot answer you otherwise: The Jews have not recognized Our Lord; therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people." -Pope St. Pius X

"No Jew adores God! Who say so?  The Son of God say so."-St. John Chrysostom