Author Topic: The Trad Forum-- Getting Started!  (Read 548 times)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
The Trad Forum-- Getting Started!
« on: October 13, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »
Hello!

A few tips on getting started using TTF.

Personalized Options

Navigate to the menu bar toward the top left of the page (below "Hello Username") and select 'Profile' > 'Forum Profile.'  This should bring you right to the page where you can edit your avatar.

If you select 'choose avatar from gallery', you will be presented with a customized pack of appropriately themed and sized TTF avatars.  Please feel free to PM us if there is an image you'd like to see in the gallery that is not already there.

And of course, users are free to upload their own avatars either from their desktop or a URL.  The size limit for avatars is 150x150.

Personalized Text

In the same area ('Profile' > 'Forum Profile'), you may enter a personalized text which will appear underneath your avatar, post count, and thanks rating.

Custom Title

In the same area ('Profile' > 'Forum Profile'), you may enter a custom title.  The Custom title will appear immediately below your username (and above your avatar/member group) every time you post.

Notifications, etc.

Within 'Profile > 'Forum Profile' > 'Notifications', 'Look and Layout', and 'Personal Messages' you can change lots of different settings to tweak your forum experience.  We've set a theme and default settings that we believe will appeal to most, but if there's something you'd like to change, take a look at these pages and you can make small tweaks that will adjust your experience.

Other Features

Thanks

There is a "Say Thanks" button which serves as a karma tool (w/out negative possibilities).  You may thank users' posts, and also view the thanks you've received and given in Profile > Summary > Show posts

Videos

If you have a video, just paste the link and it should be automatically embedded.  No need to use BBC tags.

Member Gropus

TTF uses post-count sensitive member groups.  Promotions occur in this order:

-TTF Novice: 0-249 posts
-TTF Apprentice: 250-749 posts
-TTF Journeyman: 750-1999 Posts
-TTF Expert: 2000-4999 Posts
-TTF Master: 5000+ Posts

-----------------
Any questions or concerns about how to use the forum, don't hesitate to ask!  But most users should be generally familiar with these types of features.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:41:56 PM by Mithrandylan »
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

Callixtus

Re: The Trad Forum-- Getting Started!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 01:31:28 PM »

Navigate to the menu bar toward the top left of the page (below "Hello Username") and select 'Profile' > 'Forum Profile.'  This should bring you right to the page where you can edit your avatar.

If you select 'choose avatar from gallery', you will be presented with a customized pack of appropriately themed and sized TTF avatars.  Please feel free to PM us if there is an image you'd like to see in the gallery that is not already there.

And of course, users are free to upload their own avatars either from their desktop or a URL.  The size limit for avatars is 150x150.

The list of avatars is very nice, thank you.  I selected the ++Lefebvre one.  There are lots of good saints and some weird ones too, which I don't really understand.  At first I couldn't find any but then I realized you have to select where it says "TTF" to view the list of avatars when you are trying to get one from the gallery.

2Vermont

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 03:28:12 PM »
Will we be bringing over the threads from the first TradForum?
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 03:41:58 PM »

Nope-- can't, actually. Another problem with the previous host. Thankfully, the old board was only up for ~2 months so we're really not losing much at all.

TKGS

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »

Nope-- can't, actually. Another problem with the previous host. Thankfully, the old board was only up for ~2 months so we're really not losing much at all.

Did you have to erase all the topics on the old forum?

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 06:27:18 PM »
The content of the old board is archived.

It'll remain that way indefinitely. It's important, if for no other reason than to clearly communicate to visitors that the forum has moved.

We will probably, in the future, unpack the archive and make it viewable again.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 07:55:14 PM »
Topically, in case anyone was wondering, it's perfectly fine to go ahead and discuss things "already" discussed at the old board.  No need to stand on ceremony or be creative/original.

And just to add, another benefit of our current set up is that we OWN it.  The database, everything (well, not the physical servers but daily backups are being made and whatnot).

I seriously doubt we'll ever need to move again, but the point is that if we did, we now have complete control over all of the content and in the event of a future move, we would be able to migrate all the existing content over. 

2Vermont

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 06:12:37 AM »

Ugggh.  So once again, I've lost posts and PM's.  I appreciate what you're trying to do here Mith, but this closing of forums is getting old.

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 08:08:33 AM »
Be at ease.

The archive of the old board will be unpacked later, after the launch period is over. If there's something specific you need in the meantime, just let me know.

As to PM's, you can still access those. We left those completely untouched.

Have a bit of optimism!  We have a sweet new board.

2Vermont

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 08:19:40 AM »
I'll try.  I have experienced way too many trad forum shut downs.