Author Topic: The Trad Forum-- Getting Started!  (Read 533 times)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
Re: The Trad Forum-- Getting Started!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
And yeah, just so it clear, anyone can still log in to the old board and view PM's. You can even SEND them, too.

We'll unpack the archive later so that it's viewable.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

Matto

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
Yes, there have been so many forums shut down. I wonder most about Te Deum and ABL forum because they just disappeared with no explanation. By the way I noticed that this forum seems to be very similar to SD in the software and layout.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
Yes, there have been so many forums shut down. I wonder most about Te Deum and ABL forum because they just disappeared with no explanation. By the way I noticed that this forum seems to be very similar to SD in the software and layout.

And FE, and CI.

We're using smf, which is the bees knees of forum software. We had a neutered version of it on the old board. But this is a complete custom install, with the code edited by yours truly to arrive at the look and layout we have. I'm sure the nuts and bolts of CI are probably "more" custom than ours, given that Matthew is a programmer *by trade.* But it's definitely *more* customized than SD, which is basically just using a few mods (like the "thanks" feature we have) and pre-determined style templates built by other people.

Which, I suspect, is why they suffer downtime like they do. All the mods end up conflicting when upgrades occur. We might run into a little bit of that down the road but I doubt much, since our template isn't a mod that someone else made and since I know it "from the ground up" I should be able to pretty quickly isolate and solve any issues that might pop up.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

The following users thanked this post: GottmitunsAlex

Rubecorks

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »
This is my first reply here. I guess it's the best place, but maybe you will want to move it.

I love that the rules forbid posts against baptism of desire!

I know you say you will add to the rules as time goes on. My suggestion is that when we allow talk about geocentrism vs. heliocentrism, that it be forbidden to imply that either one is dangerous to the faith, considering that the Church has clearly allowed either to be taught in Catholics schools for generations. Any talk should merely be about what makes more logical sense to believe.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 07:11:13 PM by Rubecorks »

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Nick, John

Nick

• In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.
  • TTF Novice
  • Memento Mori
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 10:05:20 PM »
I hope that no dogmatic F.E. ever come here
They've completely ruined my " lurking time " over at C.I.
Somehow the " reefer madness " icon seems appropriate.
 :pot:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:10:07 PM by Nick »
"Now when [a pope] is explicitly a heretic, he falls ipso facto from his dignity and out of the Church, and the Church must either deprive him, or, as some say, declare him deprived, of his Apostolic See, and must say as St. Peter did: Let another take his bishopric.".      St. Francis de Sales.

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan, Callixtus, Penitent

Archer

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »

And FE, and CI.

We're using smf, which is the bees knees of forum software. We had a neutered version of it on the old board. But this is a complete custom install, with the code edited by yours truly to arrive at the look and layout we have. I'm sure the nuts and bolts of CI are probably "more" custom than ours, given that Matthew is a programmer *by trade.* But it's definitely *more* customized than SD, which is basically just using a few mods (like the "thanks" feature we have) and pre-determined style templates built by other people.

Which, I suspect, is why they suffer downtime like they do. All the mods end up conflicting when upgrades occur. We might run into a little bit of that down the road but I doubt much, since our template isn't a mod that someone else made and since I know it "from the ground up" I should be able to pretty quickly isolate and solve any issues that might pop up.

I like the layout a lot. It's clean and professional looking. The color scheme and fonts all work well together. Good job!

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan