Author Topic: Ben Shapiro?  (Read 671 times)

OmegaTrad

Ben Shapiro?
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:51:53 PM »
I am always looking for good social commentary.  I am wondering what people think of Ben Shapiro?  I understand he's Jewish.  He seems to have a strong moral sense on important issues like abortion, homosexuality, government non-intervention, and the like.  He might be a little too capitalistic and of course his Zionism isn't very laudable.  But he doesn't even seem to talk about Israel much at all, and just wondering if he's a generally decent commentator (in the sense that he isn't a plant)?

The following users thanked this post: MyrnaM

Callixtus

Re: Ben Shapiro?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »
I am familiar with Matt Walsh-- he is a fairly good commentator.  I believe he's Catholic (though probably Novus Ordo).  But very strong on moral issues.

TKGS

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:47:46 PM »
All I can say is that I recognize the name in that I'm sure I've heard him talked about or quoted.  But even after looking him up on the internet and seeing his picture, I really have no opinion about him and don't know anything about him.

When Antisemites Attack!

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »
Ben is quite bold (for such a little guy) and he's good on several issues, but he has a grating nasal voice, and then there's the fact that Jews never have and never will fit into Gentile societies. Outsider status colors all of their politics. Their conservatism is legalistic/propositional (when it isn't insincere) and does not come from love of the people or the homeland.

tlm97

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »
Ben is quite bold (for such a little guy) and he's good on several issues, but he has a grating nasal voice, and then there's the fact that Jews never have and never will fit into Gentile societies. Outsider status colors all of their politics. Their conservatism is legalistic/propositional (when it isn't insincere) and does not come from love of the people or the homeland.

Can he be trusted though?
It is error to believe that Every man is free to embrace and profess that religion which, guided by the light of reason, he shall consider true.
-Bl. Pope Pius IX

The following users thanked this post: GottmitunsAlex

Troubled Teen

• TTF Novice
  • I'm the guy who sucks (plus I got depression)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 08:07:28 PM »
"Man knoweth not whether he be worthy of love, or hatred." - Ecclesiastes 9:1

"In the present time the directive is to stick to the essentials of Christianity: to flee the world, believe in Christ, do all the good that one can, strive for detachment from created things, avoid false prophets and remember death." - Fr. Leonardo Castellani

The following users thanked this post: When Antisemites Attack!

OmegaTrad

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 09:33:20 AM »

TKGS

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
Sounds like he took it like a champ!

Sounds to me like he is a complainer.  I would never trust someone who says he's a "conservative" a calls Trump the Fuhrur.  People can disagree with Trump all they want, but to call him a Nazi is beyond the pale.

OmegaTrad

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
I think he was just joking.  He could have been far, far, far more sanctimonious about it.  He wasn't really at all.  I don't like it when social commentators are self-centered, and I think that's part of what I like about Shapiro.

TKGS

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
Perhaps.  I only listened to the first half and got tired of his complaints.  Then I skipped to near the end when he was complaining about the so-called alt-right and their Fuhrer.  The Nazi comment didn't sound joking to me.

In any event, my first impression of Ben Shapiro was not positive and I won't be be seeking him out for news or commentary.