Author Topic: World Series?  (Read 892 times)

OmegaTrad

World Series?
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:21:45 AM »
Wondering if anyone is following the World Series?  What a game last night!  Too bad it took until the eighth inning before the bats started coming alive.  Anyways, any predictions, hopefuls, etc. regarding the October Classic?

TKGS

Re: World Series?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »
I haven't really followed Major League Baseball much since the strike.  Plus, the introduction of the use of instant replay by officials to make calls has ruined the game just as it has in football.  That said, I have checked in on the games here and there.  Yes, you are right, last night was a real good game until they prematurely changed pitchers and they started hitting home runs.

I hope L.A. wins because they are National League (even though the two leagues actually merged a few years ago as a business entity).  Other than a couple exceptions, I will never root for a team from a league that uses the Designated Hitter--the greatest blight on American Baseball since 1900.

TKGS

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 10:54:10 AM »
And now, from an article in April of this year, MLB is actually thinking about having computers call the balls and strikes.  Frankly, the technology exists to get rid of umpires altogether.  But this would make Baseball completely unwatchable and unenjoyable.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-addresses-growing-support-for-automated-strike-zone/

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
And now, from an article in April of this year, MLB is actually thinking about having computers call the balls and strikes.  Frankly, the technology exists to get rid of umpires altogether.  But this would make Baseball completely unwatchable and unenjoyable.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-addresses-growing-support-for-automated-strike-zone/

I watched the game last night.  Took my melatonin around 10:00PM, remember saying to the wife-- "Astros are going to lose this series.  They can't hit the ball away from Houston.  Even if it goes to seven games, they're going to lose, because they can't win on the road.  This game is going to be a 3-1 final."

And then the bats came alive!  It'll certainly be remembered as a classic game, though it seems strange to call it that given that it's "only" game 2.  But yes, a great game.

As to replay, I have mixed feelings.  I initially didn't want any replay.  But there were a few things that made me change my mind on that.  Gallaraga's (near) perfect game.  Mauer's double against the Yankees that was fair by a foot.  If you can streamline the process, I see no reason why not to have replay for things like this.  There are certain binaries in baseball that you'd like to see always right, or at least with the potential to be reversed when clearly wrong.

I absolutely draw the line at balls and strikes, though.  One of the enchanting things about baseball is the human personality that has always existed in the officiating of the game.  Part of that (indeed, almost the entire extent of that) are umpire's with different strike zones.  In fact, I really dislike when the broadcast has an electronic strike zone imposed over the screen during the live broadcast.  I don't mind it for replay.  But I don't like it imposed over the broadcast.  Plus, umpires are usually very good with make up calls and the like.  It tends to all even out when it comes to balls and strikes.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

Matto

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 11:16:03 AM »
I am a Yankees fan so I was disappointed when they lost to the Astros. I now want the Dodgers to win the world series. My family has a TV in the house and baseball games are the only thing I watch on television. I think the biggest problem with the games today is that they take too long. A regular season Yankee game often takes about four hours. I think it is asking too much for a normal person to invest four hours a night watching baseball games a hundred and sixty two times a year plus the playoff games. What I would like to see will never happen, but I wish they would eliminate one commercial between innings and during pitching changes. That would save about twenty minutes a game of wasted time.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:18:49 AM by Matto »

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
I am a Yankees fan so I was disappointed when they lost to the Astros. I now want the Dodgers to win the world series. My family has a TV in the house and baseball games are the only thing I watch on television. I think the biggest problem with the games today is that they take too long. A regular season Yankee game often takes about four hours. I think it is asking too much for a normal person to invest four hours a night watching baseball games a hundred and sixty two times a year plus the playoff games. What I would like to see will never happen, but I wish they would eliminate one commercial between innings and during pitching changes. That would save about twenty minutes a game.

I don't think anyone complained about the length of baseball games until people started comparing it to timed sports (esp. football). 

I agree that sometimes it can be a bit much.  I mainly only watch playoff baseball, and if it's a blowout early, I stop watching. 

But for a sport with no clock, baseball actually zooms along.  Getting rid of commercials would certainly speed things up, but that will never happen.  The only other way to do it (as far as I can tell) is a "pitch clock" which I think could speed up the game noticeably-- if you figure that every game as about two hundred pitches thrown, only allowing ten-fifteen seconds from the time the pitcher has the ball on the mound to the time the windup or stretch must begin could cut twenty minutes off a game.  Also, limiting pitcher-mound visits.  I'm not saying I support either idea, just saying that baseball has very little it can do to speed things up with regularity.

Plus, offense is what sells.  The more offense, the longer the game.  Pitcher's duels can be done in less than three hours (e.g., game one of this world series).  I love pitcher's duels, actually, but most people prefer to see big bats.  So short games don't really sell the way that long games do (paradoxically).

TKGS

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 11:44:35 AM »
Ok folks.  You need to start thinking.  The complaint is how long the game takes to play.  This is a fair complaint.  Just a few years ago, the average 9-inning game took around two and a half hours.  The average is now a little over 3 hours.  Why?  How do you get it back to 2 - 1/2 hours where it should be?

1.  Eliminate all replay.  Period. 

2.  Enforce the rules that are already on the books.  Yes, MLB is a microcosm of the U.S. gun-control debate and the illegal alien debate.  Umpires should not give batters time just as the pitchers are about to throw and if the pitcher does not deliver the ball within about 20 seconds (no external clock needed--the plate umpire is responsible for this) when no one is on base, he should simply call a ball.  Keep the game moving.  And, of course, immediate ejection of any player who questions any ball/strike call no matter how popular or important to the team he is. 

3.  Only rule changes needed--eliminate the Designated Hitter and reduce the roster by two players.  This reduces the number of substitutes available and would encourage managers to keep pitchers in longer.  They should also prohibit all the extra stuff batters put on to protect themselves; this won't necessarily speed up the game, but it would go a long way to reverse the sissification of baseball.

As for Replay--I've noticed that Modernists ( ;)) frequently decide that replay is good when they see one or two of the obviously bad calls against the team they are rooting for.  Face it, folks, human error--even on the part of the umpires--is an integral part of sports.  The only legitimate use of instant replay is for league offices to review the umpires job performance so that they can cull those who make a lot of errors.

And, no, eliminating commercials isn't going to do anything.  Pitchers really do need a few warm up pitches.  Baseball is actually the only sport I know that doesn't need artificial breaks for commercials as time is built right in to the structure of the game.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 12:06:58 PM »
As someone whose favorite teams are AL, I view the NL rules a bit like a Latin Catholic would view the Eastern rites.  Acknowledge them as completely legit, realize that it's still the same thing, but know that it's "not for me."  Appreciate from a distance.  But keep to my own.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

OmegaTrad

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »
The strategy required to compete in the NL is far more complex than that in the AL.  The DH rule provides a dumbed down (or amped up) product. 

I like replay, though.  I don't think it adds to game times, not significantly. 

OmegaTrad

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
Great highlight reel of the game.  No fluff, just the important parts: