Author Topic: World Series?  (Read 927 times)

TKGS

Re: World Series?
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
As someone whose favorite teams are AL, I view the NL rules a bit like a Latin Catholic would view the Eastern rites.  Acknowledge them as completely legit, realize that it's still the same thing, but know that it's "not for me."  Appreciate from a distance.  But keep to my own.

No.  You should say, instead, that the AL is the Novus Ordo of Major League Baseball while the NL is the traditional Church.

I say this even though my two exceptions of not rooting for the AL are Seattle and Boston (I am originally from Seattle, my wife is originally from New Hampshire).

The strategy required to compete in the NL is far more complex than that in the AL.  The DH rule provides a dumbed down (or amped up) product. 

Yes, the AL is the dumbed-down, Novus Ordo league.

I like replay, though.  I don't think it adds to game times, not significantly. 

HERETIC!!!   :prettyangry: :prettyangry: :prettyangry:

The following users thanked this post: Mithrandylan

2Vermont

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »
LOL TKGS and Mith.

I'm a Yankee fan.....guess who I side with.   :P
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

2Vermont

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 02:04:53 PM »
Oh...and since when have the players become......children?

:'(

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

Matto

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »
Even though I am a Yankees fan, I don't really like the DH. It has advantages for my team because it allows the catcher Gary Sanchez who is a good hitter to get more at bats on his off days so it will help them win. And it was also horrible for my team when the pitcher Chien-Ming Wang got injured running the bases in an inter-league game which ruined his career as a good pitcher. But I do prefer the National League game with the pitcher hitting even though I am a fan of an American League team.

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »
So, I'm not a Yankees fan.  But I felt empathy pains watching Gary Sanchez prove near complete incompetency at fielding throws from outfielders.  He must have had four outfield throws-- none of which were properly bad, most were average-- just bounce off of him.  Terrible.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

2Vermont

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
Even though I am a Yankees fan, I don't really like the DH. It has advantages for my team because it allows the catcher Gary Sanchez who is a good hitter to get more at bats on his off days so it will help them win. And it was also horrible for my team when the pitcher Chien-Ming Wang got injured running the bases in an inter-league game which ruined his career as a good pitcher. But I do prefer the National League game with the pitcher hitting even though I am a fan of an American League team.

It makes no sense to me to have a player hit who we all know can't hit.

Matto

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »
So, I'm not a Yankees fan.  But I felt empathy pains watching Gary Sanchez prove near complete incompetency at fielding throws from outfielders.  He must have had four outfield throws-- none of which were properly bad, most were average-- just bounce off of him.  Terrible.
I think we are worried but hope he will get better with more practice. In New York we have had Mike Piazza (Mets) and Jorge Posada (Yankees) as catchers who were not good fielders but we forgave them because they were such good hitters. We hope Sanchez will get better because if he does not get better as a fielder they might decide he has to be a full time DH and he will lose half of his value. A catcher who can hit forty home runs is a rarity. But a DH who can hit 40 home runs is nothing special.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 02:48:30 PM by Matto »

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »
Piazza and Posada were both serviceable in the field though.  Sanchez is an edge-of-your-seat-passed-ball-waiting-to-happen.  I know he can rake.  I wouldn't get rid of him.  But he is really a terrible fielder.  Good arm, though.  But definitely needs to shore up his defense.  Girardi was a good defensive catcher.
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

TKGS

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »
I thought the point of playing a sport for a living was so you never had to grow up!

By the way, if the point of the DH is to let people who can't field come to bat and you guys like that, maybe the American League should have separate offensive and defensive teams (like the NFL).  That would make the game even better!  Not!  You know it would destroy the fundamental essence of the game. 

And, finally, for all you Yankee fans:  na-na-na-na-na   :clap:

We were watching part of one of the league series games and my son asked me who I was rooting for.  I told him, "Not Yankees."

The following users thanked this post: OmegaTrad

OmegaTrad

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »
I told him, "Not Yankees."

:lol: Perfect answer.