Author Topic: World Series?  (Read 926 times)

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
  • Divínum auxílium ✝ máneat semper nobíscum
Re: World Series?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 11:22:37 PM »
Kind of a boring game tonight.  5-3 makes it seem closer than it really was.  Except for McCullers walking the bases loaded, the game was never really close. 
I wear it for a memorable honor,
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

2Vermont

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 06:45:34 AM »
I thought the point of playing a sport for a living was so you never had to grow up!

By the way, if the point of the DH is to let people who can't field come to bat and you guys like that, maybe the American League should have separate offensive and defensive teams (like the NFL).  That would make the game even better!  Not!  You know it would destroy the fundamental essence of the game. 

And, finally, for all you Yankee fans:  na-na-na-na-na   :clap:

We were watching part of one of the league series games and my son asked me who I was rooting for.  I told him, "Not Yankees."

That;s it TKGS.  I am no longer your friend.  :crossarms:
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

TKGS

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 07:11:15 AM »
Kind of a boring game tonight.  5-3 makes it seem closer than it really was.  Except for McCullers walking the bases loaded, the game was never really close.

I don't think you really understand the essence of this game.  It's not over until it's over.

TKGS

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 07:26:42 AM »
That;s it TKGS.  I am no longer your friend.  :crossarms:

:(

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 09:51:53 AM »

I don't think you really understand the essence of this game.  It's not over until it's over.

No, it isn't, but I've watched baseball since I was a tot and you can tell the disparity of competition despite the score. It wasn't a bad game, but it was game which, by the seventh inning, you could tell would require some serious lightning bottling for the Dodgers to turn it around.  Granted, that's possible. But all in all it wasn't as close as 5-3 indicates.  The Dodgers were flat and stale all game.

TKGS

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2017, 12:35:40 PM »

No, it isn't, but I've watched baseball since I was a tot and you can tell the disparity of competition despite the score. It wasn't a bad game, but it was game which, by the seventh inning, you could tell would require some serious lightning bottling for the Dodgers to turn it around.  Granted, that's possible. But all in all it wasn't as close as 5-3 indicates.  The Dodgers were flat and stale all game.

I still remember the game I was watching on television years ago.  The game went into the ninth inning with a 12 run lead (score was 14-2, I think).  The visiting team came to bat and the first two batters grounded out.  Then they got a base hit, another, a few walks, more base hits.  When they tied, Tommy Lasorda proceeded to argue a call--which was obviously correct--and threw all the bats in the dugout on the field.  He was then, of course, ejected from the game.  The visiting team scored two more runs before recording the third out.  The Dodgers went down in order in the bottom of the ninth.

It ain't over 'till it's over!

The following users thanked this post: OmegaTrad

2Vermont

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »

I still remember the game I was watching on television years ago.  The game went into the ninth inning with a 12 run lead (score was 14-2, I think).  The visiting team came to bat and the first two batters grounded out.  Then they got a base hit, another, a few walks, more base hits.  When they tied, Tommy Lasorda proceeded to argue a call--which was obviously correct--and threw all the bats in the dugout on the field.  He was then, of course, ejected from the game.  The visiting team scored two more runs before recording the third out.  The Dodgers went down in order in the bottom of the ninth.

And *who* was it that first uttered these words?  Yogi Berra, a Yankee.  :P
"Anything, but sedevacantism"

(If you are open to sedevacantism and not a rabid anti-sede, then this is not about you)

OmegaTrad

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »

You don't even have to go back that far!  Just look at game two... if the Astros performance from all of game one up until the seventh inning of game two wasn't "stale," then I don't know what is.  ;D

TKGS

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »
What is it about you people that only think that good baseball is in the offense.  The best games those that end with a score of 3-2.  Great plays in the field are infinitely more exciting than home runs.

And, yes, Yogi Berra was a Yankee.  He was also a Met!!!!

One summer day Yogi Berra was wearing a white suit in New York.  The mayor's wife saw him and told him, "You look very cool in that summer suit."  Yogi replied, "You don't look so hot yourself."  In fact, a reporter once asked him if he really said all the things that people say he's said.  Yogi's response:  "I didn't say half the things I've said."

I won't deny that many of the greatest baseball players in history have been Yankees.  And, frankly, Yogi Berra was one of those great players.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:20:33 PM by TKGS »

The following users thanked this post: 2Vermont

Mithrandylan

• Administrator
  • TTF Apprentice
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 03:28:12 PM »
In my defense, I said that I prefer pitcher's duels!